My Home for Christmas

My Home for Christmas

Oh, hi. Looks like I arranged for myself to share a Christmas home tour with you today. Nevermind that I have done zero Christmas shopping and we’re still eating off Halloween themed-paper plates over here and these types of things give me the sweats.  You don’t mind, right?

What’s that? I can’t hear you over the store-bought sugar cookie I just shoved in your mouth.  Here, have some eggnog.  Let’s look at this one square foot of cuteness at my front door:

ikea christmas tree

I like this little spot. Nice and simple. I painted the white pine cones, but the others were an experiment from last year where I attempted to bleach them.  It works and looks pretty cool.  Just soak them in a bucket of bleach for a few days, then let them dry out completely (far away from pets and kids duh).

Down the hall a bit we run into my Christmas mantle which you’ve seen before.  It’s still there, but the baby has pulled down the stockings a few times, that jerk.

gold and white christmas stockings

Just kidding, he’s the best and he can’t ever make me mad, even though he broke, knocked over, pulled down, and tore up about a hundred things yesterday.  If you missed the post, there is somewhat of a stocking tutorial in it, so check that out if you wanna.

Now we come to the dining room, which I lovehate.

christmas pillars dining room

It’s a cool room with these fun pillars, but I’ve given this room hardly any attention at all since we moved here in May.  It just has a long way to go. I will now refrain from pointing out all the things I don’t like about it. Man, house tours make me anxious! Why am I a blogger again?

christmas dining room

The last three Christmas’s we have been in three different homes, so it’s a little crazy trying to figure out new places for old things over and over.  But I love this new guy here:

christmas bulbs on cake stand decoration

I found the cake plate and the oversize cloche at TJ Maxx, and they were each around $10 or so.  Bargain alert! I’ve had it on my table since Halloween, where it housed my glitter pumpkins. It has yet to house a cake. But I think it looks pretty cute with some bulbs stuffed inside.  Tip: fill the center with white cotton batting first, then arrange the bulbs around that for a fuller look.

gold whie and silver christmas decor with snowflakes

santa key

We don’t have a chimney here in Arizona, so we have to leave ol’ Santa a key.

basket with gifts

In case you’ve been hitting the eggnog extra hard, you’ve probably noticed a gold/white theme happening here.  For the longest time we had a red and white theme, which gave way to gold and white, but I think I’m going to try black and white next year, still with plenty of gold. I don’t aim for a ‘trendy’ tree, but I do feel the itch to switch things up much more often now. I blame blogging for my short attention span. What were we talking about?

christmastree

Basically my tree looked exactly like this last year.  I didn’t handcraft any new ornaments or come up with a super hip tree theme that will blow the mind of the blogosphere, but it’s a nice tree. Even if it kind of feels like Santa barfed on it. I guess I’m feeling the urge to switch it up and simplify at the same time.  Too much.  Not enough? Is this the most depressing Christmas tour ever? I’m sorry! I’m the worst. Here, have more eggnog.

tulle tree skirt with lights

I love how the tree skirt turned out, if you can even call it that. Its just a set of those $4 tulle curtains from IKEA with Christmas lights underneath.  Easy.

christmas reindeer ornament

My gold glitter deer silhouette art held up nicely from last year.

glitter christmas deer art

glitter deer art closeup

And since I don’t want to leave you without a before and after, let’s pretend this counts:

before tree

b after tree

Woah! What changed? Nothing, other than the settings on my camera.

If you’ve been trying to get pretty glowy pictures of your Christmas tree and failing, here are a few tips.  I am by no means a pro photographer, and there are plenty of tutorials out there that can give you much more technical information than I can, but these are a few simple tricks I’ve learned.

how to take pretty pictures of a christmas tree

1. DON’T USE FLASH! Ew! Gross! No!

Even if you don’t have a fancy DSLR camera, your basic point-and-shoot should still have the option to turn off the flash.

2. Use a tripod.

If you don’t have a tripod, that’s ok. Use a stack of books or something similarly sturdy, but don’t rely on a steady hand.

3. Play with the settings on your camera. You can see the settings I used on the right picture above, and it makes a world of difference. Many point-and-shoots even have settings you can play around with, so give ’em a go. It’s not like we’re paying for film anymore people.

christmas tree gold white and silver

Well, that’s it.  Hope you enjoyed the tour!

Hey, don’t forget your cookie!

christmas halloween cookie

Check out more home tours from my blogger friends:

Monday
Tuesday

Wednesday

Thursday

Friday

1. Jeni
    December 10, 2014 / 6:03 AM

Oh, Lindsey, you’ve moved, like, seventeen times, added a new little blessing to three you already had, allowed someone to shoot lasers into your eyeballs, all while keeping up with the rest of life! You go ahead and rock those storebought cookies on those Halloween paper plates! Your home is gorgeous. I love the tree skirt and am inspired to that to my tree which still doesn’t have lights or ornaments on it. (But I did make from-scratch cookies yesterday, so it’s a trade-off!)

2. December 10, 2014 / 6:51 AM

Love your gold and white theme! Thanks for the photography tip for taking pictures of lit trees. I need to take a few more and up the ISO…I didn’t think about doing that.

Enjoy this fun time of year!

3. December 10, 2014 / 8:14 AM

Lindsey you are hilarious! And don’t even pretend that you didn’t do much decorating… everything is absolutely stunning. I love the gold and white theme, and the tulle tree skirt with lights = genius! Thanks so much for being part of the tour and sharing your home with us! 🙂

4. Bee
    December 10, 2014 / 8:19 AM

I can’t believe you have done so much decorating already–I always wait until Christmas Eve! Those columns in your dining area are made to become candy canes, or is that too obvious?

Your ideas are always so doable! Right now I’m thinking about the red tulle w/glitter I got at a thrift store and those extra lights. I’m gonna steal your tree skirt idea.

5. Elizabeth
    December 10, 2014 / 8:20 AM

Absolutely gorgeous decor! You have a beautiful home.

6. December 10, 2014 / 8:40 AM

You’re really funny Lindsey. I enjoyed reading this post. Your tree is beautiful and your home is lovely. Thanks for sharing.

7. Julie
    December 10, 2014 / 9:56 AM

What are the framed text posters on the wall behind your Christmas tree? I’m looking to do something similar but can’t find the right quote/story/poem. Please share!

8. December 10, 2014 / 9:58 AM

I LOVE all of the sparkle! Your home is absolutely stunning! All of the silver and gold you used is perfection. Your mantel is my favorite!

9. December 10, 2014 / 10:04 AM

Oh, I love it! New lighting is definitely on the list. West Elm has the coolest stuff too. White would be perfect!

10. December 10, 2014 / 10:05 AM

That is a little project I’m still trying to perfect! I’m planning to share as soon as I do! 🙂

11. December 10, 2014 / 10:44 AM

Absolutely gorgeous. Your tree is divine and those deer pictures are awesome!

12. December 10, 2014 / 11:00 AM

Love, love, love your tree!! White and gold are fantastic together, I didn’t even know, but gosh is it beautiful!
    My parents tried telling me a few times that they had to leave Santa a key (we didn’t have a fireplace, either). They never actually had a key for him, though! That’s brilliant!

13. December 10, 2014 / 11:27 AM

Lindsay your house looks great. And I love your dining room, especially those snowflakes. All of you decorations are so pretty. And store bought cookies on Halloween plates are the perfect touch. 😉 Thanks for sharing your home with us!

14. December 10, 2014 / 11:44 AM

Your post is hilarious! You are being way too hard on yourself, because I think your home is absolutely perfect! (Although the Halloween plates may need to be put away!) Your tree is my favorite, but I love how everything coordinates together from one room to the next. Loved being able to share this day in the tour with you!

15. Angie
    December 10, 2014 / 12:43 PM

Can you come decorate my home?! I think yours looks awesome! And your post was super funny especially the last picture lol

16. December 10, 2014 / 1:22 PM

You crack me up. At least it’s not a Easter plate, right? I love, love, love the lights under the tree skirt/curtains. Great idea and I may have to copy it next year!

17. December 10, 2014 / 2:13 PM

HA, what a great tour! I adore how you ended with a Halloween plate, nicely done! These tours (my first one) are making me a bit manic! :/ Your tree is beautiful and those hanging snowflakes are so cool!!!

18. Kim
    December 10, 2014 / 2:55 PM

Great post! Love your gold and white theme. I pinned this post so I can try and take a good photo of my tree (if I ever get it up). Ha!

19. Heather M
    December 10, 2014 / 3:24 PM

Your house is beautiful, classy and so cozy looking! I love it! And I love mad your narration. As always, I was cracking up. And now I want some egg nog. And a cookie.

20. Hanna
    December 10, 2014 / 3:37 PM

The last picture did it for me! You are hilarious! Your home is gorgeous!

21. LeeAnn
    December 10, 2014 / 4:25 PM

I love your Christmas home tour! The decorations make your home look like a winter wonderland. Just so pretty!

22. December 10, 2014 / 6:45 PM

I love love love your gorgeous home…I smiled my way though- thank you for inspiring xo

23. December 10, 2014 / 7:13 PM

Oh my goodness everything looks so pretty! You did so much better than me with your home tour. You have a tree up ~ stockings hung and even cookies…..I suck as a blogger when it comes to these things. So happy to see your lovely home ~ thanks so much for sharing!

24. December 10, 2014 / 8:26 PM

Your home is lovely, especially at Christmas time. All the touches are just stunning and perfection. Thanks LOADS for the tips. I will definitely be using them. Your tour was inspiring!

25. Oh my goodness, Lindsey…what is not to love?? LOVE it all, and your delivery was refreshingly entertaining! Love your gorgeous tree too. Oh and we’re still eating off of Curious George birthday party plates…from July 🙂

26. December 10, 2014 / 9:12 PM

Love your Halloween/Christmas tour! Love even more the framed prints behind your sofa. Can you share where, what, etc? I blew up the photo but still can’t read the text. Must. Know. More. Please.

27. Amanda
    December 10, 2014 / 9:59 PM

When you bleached the pine cones did you use straight bleach or was it diluted with water?

28. December 10, 2014 / 10:02 PM

Hmmmmm, I think it was straight up bleach, but you could probably dilute it too.

29. December 10, 2014 / 10:31 PM

Ha! Glad you liked those Karen! They were kind of an experiment, so when I figure them out a little better, I will be sharing. Basically they are engineer prints of a Maya Angelou quote and ‘Forever Young’ by Bob Dylan, and I built frames to go around them. Not thrilled with how I attached the print to the frame though, so I’d like to find a better method before I post about it.

30. December 10, 2014 / 10:32 PM

Aww, thanks so much Christy! I will be thinking of you and Curious George as I have my breakfast toast on my skull plate tomorrow.

31. December 10, 2014 / 10:34 PM

You are welcome to come over anytime! Who wants to be in dumb cold Idaho for Christmas anyway? It was 78 here today, just sayyyyingg….

32. December 10, 2014 / 10:35 PM

Yes, manic! I get it completely! I even had dreams about it! Why do we do this to ourselves? 😉

33. G
    December 10, 2014 / 11:05 PM

Best tour EVER-seriously! Gorgeous tree and decor; great job! (bonus points for hilarious)

34. December 11, 2014 / 7:57 AM

Love the gold, silver and white! Everything is simply gorgeous! Thanks for the camera a tips too! Pics of my tree have always been the bane of my existence!
    Happy Holidays,
    Leslie

35. December 11, 2014 / 12:53 PM

TOO FUNNY…my post for this evening is about turning the flash off and playing with the camera settings! I am the blogisphere’s worst photographer but I finally got some sparkly pictures of my tree!!!! Amazing what a little experimentation can get you…well, besides drunk and/or pregnant.

36. December 11, 2014 / 2:37 PM

LOLOLOL, hahaha, be careful out there! You never know where experimentation may take you!

37. Darlene
    December 11, 2014 / 10:02 PM

Can I just pretend that these are pictures of my house and call it done? Thanks!

38. December 12, 2014 / 6:27 AM

Lindsey, you home is BEAUTIFUL!!! Thanks for the photo tips!

39. December 12, 2014 / 4:08 PM

Your home is beautiful…..love your tree!I love how you added those pretty gold bows to your chairs and ribbons to your posts.Great photography tips too!

40. Amanda
    December 12, 2014 / 5:23 PM

Linds so gorgeous! Love!

41. December 13, 2014 / 8:22 AM

Lovely tour!!!! Thanks so much for the tree photography tips. I just got my first DSLR and using for the first time on my Christmas tours. This is so helpful!!! XXOO Christy

42. December 13, 2014 / 10:21 AM

The gold wrapped columns looks so festive and the deer art is such a creative idea. My favorite is the tree. I love the color scheme.

43. December 13, 2014 / 10:25 PM

There’s a calm and peaceful feel about your tree and colour scheme Lindsey. I love it and your home looks amazing.
    Merry Christmas ~ Kerryanne

44. Arli
    December 20, 2014 / 2:24 PM

Your blog tour was the best because you are so darn FUNNY! Merry Christmas!