Have a Holly Jolly Fruit Snack

Have a Holly Jolly Fruit Snack

What’s the first thing everyone wants to do after Christmas? Besides returning that nose-hair trimmer or ironing board? (I actually do know people who have been given ironing boards for Christmas, although that is not by far the worst gift I ever heard of. That honor belongs to a woman named Marcia who claims she once received a pill vial designed like a white elephant and filled with the baby teeth of her friend’s children). (I’ve never received anything nearly that bad, although someone once regifted a gift I had given them back to me! I guess they knew I would like it?)

Anyway let’s regroup before we get way off track here. Although if you want to share your best and worsts gifts in the comments, that would be a fun read! (Do it!)

Ok, for reals. Back to the original question. What’s the first thing everyone wants to do after Christmas? When January 1 hits? Organize, of course. The new year is a perfect time for a fresh start. Out with the old, in with the new. Declutter, rearrange, BUY ALL THE BINS! At least, that’s what everyone thinks. I say you wait a little bit. Give yourself a breather. You just survived the holidays, what’s the rush?

Or, here’s another idea. Start now! Maybe you can’t organize your entire home this month, but you can tackle something you were planning to put off until after the new year. Give yourself a headstart! Who’s with me??

You there! With the out of control pantry! Let’s get you sorted out right now. You’ll feel so much better.

mudroom-pantry-before

mudroom-pantry

Ahhh, wouldn’t this make you feel less stressed? When the holiday madness hits, you can just step inside your perfectly organized pantry, take some deep breaths and eat a fruit roll-up, and walk out feeling like a brand new woman.

This lovely pantry belongs to Erin at Lemons, Lavender, and Laundry  and she came up with several low-cost storage solutions to make the most of this space, such as recovering cardboard boxes in contact paper and using dollar store bins on the higher shelves.

“Hmph,” you think. “My dollar store does not sell galvanized metal bins for $1.”

No? Neither did hers.

mudroom-pantry-orange-buckets

mudroom-pantry-bucket-makeover

It’s spray paint!  Can admiring a spray-painted plastic bin full of fruit snacks bring you inner peace? I’d say so, yeah.

1. Carol Hake
    December 13, 2016 / 2:34 PM

Am I the first?? Goodie … I think LOL

My brother gave my husband a remote controlled spider for Christmas a few years back. Emm, m-kay, thank you? Kind of weird but the kicker was that it was not wireless but had a cord connected to the controller that was … and I’m not kidding here … 12″ long!!! You had to lay on the floor with your head smashed on the tile in order to control the thing. A spider is bad enough but with a tethered cord? Really? It’s because of him we all revolted and stopped exchanging gifts except for the children. This year I saw he had posted on Facebook that he was shopping at Tractor Supply for his gifts this year. I really feel sorry for my sister-in-law’s family!

And baby teeth? That is freakin’ weird. Just weird.

2. Carol-Anne
    December 13, 2016 / 6:30 PM

Can I be obnoxious and tell you my BEST Christmas gift?
    We received what I thought was an odd & stupid gift, from a friend of my hubby…a clock radio/carbon monoxide detector. I thought it was a weird thing to give someone. My husband promptly plugged it in on the nightstand.

It went off in the middle of the night 2 days later, AND IT LITERALLY SAVED THE LIVES OF MY FAMILY! Seriously. There was some kind of malfunction in our fireplace, and it was spewing carbon monoxide into the house while we slept!

The best weird gift ever!

3. sarah
    December 13, 2016 / 7:26 PM

My in-laws are THE most practical people in the world. One year for Christmas, they gave me a tape dispenser! On the bright side, I have NEVER lost the tape and I always know where it is at. It’s something I would never have bought myself and something I appreciate every time I use it. I always think of them when I use it. I miss them both.

4. Connie
    December 13, 2016 / 9:38 PM

We received two wine glasses that were engraved with the name of someone we know from work. He is a competitive sport shooter nationwide. The glasses were a prize from a match he had won. I guess his wife just wanted to get them out of her house. Those glasses went into the recycle bin real quick!

5. Katherine
    December 13, 2016 / 10:11 PM

My first boyfriend gave me a candle for Christmas (our first and only together). Not so bad, you say? Well, it was dusty, had been lit before, and I recognized it from the knick-knack shelf of the old lady he used to visit. (Don’t ask. Not as sweet as it sounds, trust me.)

6. December 14, 2016 / 12:15 AM

Wow! That’s an incredible story! Sounds like it was definitely meant to be.

7. December 14, 2016 / 12:15 AM

Ahahaha, the visual I’m picturing here is hilarious. Oh, I think I could have some fun with a remote control spider. On a tiny cord. Haaa!

8. December 14, 2016 / 12:17 AM

That’s just like my husband’s aunt and uncle who gave us a shop-vac for our wedding present. “You’ll use it,” they said. Sure enough, we use it all the time and it’s the only gift we still have 15 years later!

9. December 14, 2016 / 12:18 AM

Oh wow, that’s pretty bad! I feel like there’s more to this story!!

10. December 14, 2016 / 12:19 AM

Wow, that’s terrible, and hilarious! Did they really not realize they were engraved, or just not care?! How odd!!

11. Connie
    December 14, 2016 / 6:53 AM

I think that they knew they were engraved, but had so many of the same type of awards that they had won. They just wanted to “give” us something and that was it for that year. The hubby’s name and the event were on the glasses!

12. Rosie S
    December 14, 2016 / 7:17 AM

I really don’t think anyone is going to beat the baby teeth….But, we received a little statue of 2 raccoons, eating fish, on a rock….for our WEDDING!!! Not sure what the thought behind that was…except…REGIFT! BTW, Love this pantry makeover, too!

13. T
    December 14, 2016 / 10:03 AM

My fave has to be some friends that exchanged gag gifts. One gifted the other a beautifully wrapped box, shoe box size, that said “fragile” but had a bit of a rattle sound when shaken, even gently. Turns out it was a box of shed cidada shells.
    Boy brains – they are a mystery.

14. Joelle
    December 14, 2016 / 10:19 AM

My best bad gift was from my sister-in-law. It was my first Christmas with his family and she gave me a manicure set that was obviously the “free gift with purchase” from the set of perfume she had bought her mother. It turned out to be the gift I’ve used the most to this day, I keep it in my purse and since I am always breaking my nails it has been great.

15. December 14, 2016 / 4:07 PM

Oh my goodness!! Hey, you always could have turned it into a lamp and won the Ugly Lamp Contest!

16. December 14, 2016 / 4:07 PM

Oh wow, that is super strange! Dead bugs, a literal ‘gag’ gift!!

17. December 14, 2016 / 4:08 PM

I have a relative that is notorious for giving me the ‘free with purchase’ gifts! I get a lot of tote bags.

18. December 14, 2016 / 4:11 PM

We used to exchange gag gifts along with real gifts in our family. There was a bottle of Thunderbird – with a label that read FINE WINE that got passed around so much it eventually turned to vinegar and was gifted with salad dressing mix.
    P.S. My favorite wedding gift is my handheld chargeable vacuum!

19. Maria from Oz
    December 14, 2016 / 4:30 PM

Worst Christmas gift I ever got was from my husband. I had visited my family in another town with our 3 young kiddos (one being 3 months old) and he calls me to tell me my present is there. I am like, WHAT? He says, “Yeah, stay there, don’t come home.I’ve met someone else and I don’t want you to come home.” Oh…says me. I still to this day don’t know where the present was…(Bitter twisted gurgling hysterical laughter emitting from my belly.) Anyway, he did me a favour, now some 23 years ago, I met someone 10 times better than him and all my kids are now adults and doing excellently well, thank you very much!

Anyhoos, dang that gal sure did clean up her pantry! I’d be happy with shelves but she took it one step further and ORGANISED them! WOW, good job! I lerv those silvery plastic containers. Who knew!

20. LeeAnn
    December 14, 2016 / 4:37 PM

My son gave me one placemat for Christmas. Just one. I think he was about three years old. I love it and still have it. ❤️

21. December 15, 2016 / 6:54 AM

Oh wow! That must have been a memorable Christmas to put it lightly. Three month old baby too huh? Sounds like he did you a favor unloading himself, ugh. So glad you got your happy ending Maria!

22. December 15, 2016 / 6:59 AM

Oh that’s too funny. We had a gag gift that got passed around for the longest time too. It was a wooden statue of a beaver holding a little brass stick in its mouth. It was about the size of a large pineapple and weighed a ton. That stupid thing showed up EVERYWHERE. On year my dad brought it at Christmastime and hid it inside a snowman my kids had built in the front yard. We didn’t realize it was there until the snow melted, weeks later!

23. mercury
    December 15, 2016 / 12:15 PM

One year when my son was very young, he gifted me a keychain with a pug face and it said “I love my pug”. I have no idea where he found that thing. But for years I dutifully toted my keys around with my pug keychain. And no, I don’t have a pug (or any dog for that matter).