My Brass Candlestick Collection

My Brass Candlestick Collection

I’ve been looking for a reason to share my growing collection of brass candlesticks with you, so I invented one! I started a “Collections Tour” with some of my blogging friends, and it kicks off today! Whoop woo!

I’m so intrigued by the things people decide to collect and why. For instance, I have a friend who collects Santa Clause figurines because his mother was SO good at making Christmastime magical, he actually believed in Santa until 7th grade. I have another friend so obsessed with Disney that every single room in her home is top-to-bottom, wall-to-wall Disney, not exaggerating.

So today, not only can you hop around from blog to blog and see what your favorite bloggers are into collecting, you can use the hashtag #whatIcollect on instagram or twitter to share a peek of your collections too! I would seriously love to see it. Please, won’t you let me be a voyeur inside your head?

Unfortunately, there’s no scandalous story or magical childhood memory behind my collection. I recently started collecting brass candlesticks simply because I like them and they are easy to find. Every time I swing by the thrift-store there is usually an assortment to choose from.

brass candlestick collection lit all white

And here they are! Such a cute little group.

brass candlesticks cropped

I’m now learning that the quality of brass can vary wildly, so I’m starting to be pickier about which ones I’ll buy.

brass candlestick lined up

I couldn’t possibly pick a favorite because they are all like little baby children to me. HA! Kidding. They are just candlesticks. Of course I have a favorite. It’s the first one on the left of the picture above.  I’m pretty sure it’s the highest quality brass in the bunch. It’s much heavier than it looks and has a really lovely warm tone when it’s all polished up. (It could use a bit of polishing right now).

The one next to it is some kind of candlestick mutt which I’m pretty sure was pieced together from three separate candlesticks of various metals, same with the other long and skinny one.  The third from the end and the little one on the end are probably the cheapest quality, and it shows in their yellowy brassy tone that is not my fave. They were probably some of the first ones I bought when I didn’t know any better.

It’s also hard to tell what you are getting when you find them at the thrift store, because they are all in desperate need of polishing and look super dull and brown. Like this:

unpolished brass candlesticks

But going by their weight is a good way to judge if you’ve found a worthwhile one. Just pretend you are playing Clue and ask yourself if your candlestick could viably be used as a weapon or not. Easy!

brass candlesticks up close

Here is Mr. My Favorite up close and personal, and you can see exactly where it needs some polishing again. I just use Brasso, which you can find in the cleaning aisle, but honestly, I’m not THAT impressed with Brasso.  It still takes a ton of elbow grease to really shine them up.

brass candlestick collection

brass candlestick up close

types of brass candlesticks

I plan to keep adding to my collection whenever I find any that are especially unique. Now I just need to collect more candles!

collections tour logo

Ok! Now it’s your turn! Snap a picture or two of something you love to collect and share it with us on instagram or twitter. Just use the hashtag #whatIcollect, and if you tag me @betterafterlnz (or @betterafter on twitter), I’ll be sure to come by and say hi!

Check out the rest of the bloggers on the tour by clicking on the linky thing below. Yay fun!

1. May 12, 2015 / 6:22 AM

Lindsey,

What a beautiful collection and I love that they are candlesticks. So pretty.

2. May 12, 2015 / 6:24 AM

I love your brass candle stick collection! They especially look great all grouped together the way you have them…love that! This tour is making me want to start more collections — everyone has such great stuff! Thanks for getting this off the ground! 🙂

3. May 12, 2015 / 6:41 AM

Such a pretty collection of candlesticks, Lindsey! I love all the different shapes and sizes. I’ve got a few that we received as wedding gifts 24 years ago that I might need to get out of storage after seeing your pretty collection. Thanks for the inspiration! ~ Angie

4. Reenie
    May 12, 2015 / 7:27 AM

Love those!! I’m all about that brass… bout that brass…. no silver!! HA!!

I do not like Brasso at all ~ it did not work for me and it stinks. I used a combination of white vinegar, lemon juice and water. Works like a charm. 😉

5. Shira
    May 12, 2015 / 7:29 AM

Hi Lindsey! I am currently redoing some dressers that have brass pulls. I found that if you soak them in warm water mixed with white vinegar and salt for an hour or 2, and THEN use the brasso, they shine up so much easier! And less elbow grease! Hope this tip helps.

6. May 12, 2015 / 8:01 AM

I love how you’ve collected candle holders with different designs. You are going to enjoy using these from season to season in different vignettes.

7. May 12, 2015 / 8:06 AM

Lindsey your candlesticks look gorgeous together! They’d make quite a statement on a mantel or as a centerpiece. SO lovely!

8. Dawn
    May 12, 2015 / 8:26 AM

Lindsey, I have a lot of brass candlestick and I LOVE them with your black candles. Are they (black candles) difficult to find. Can you share where you purchased yours and are they seasonal?

Thanks so much!

Dawn

9. May 12, 2015 / 8:31 AM

Lindsey, what a stunning display! I like your “weapons” of choice! Jeanette

10. susan
    May 12, 2015 / 8:46 AM

Lindsey! Ditch the awful brasso and use ketchup! I am not kidding. It works way better and it’s not toxic. Goop your brass up with a thick layer of ketchup, let it sit and do its work, then rub with a polishing cloth. WISH with hot water and maybe a dab of dish soap and then dry.i also use ketchup to polish the brass and copper jewelry I make. Love your collection!

11. May 12, 2015 / 9:31 AM

I collect ironstone now, but when I was in high school I collected pineapples (I was a weird kid). I probably had 50+ wooden pineapple bowls and I hung them all on my bedroom wall. I wish I had a picture of it. I had so much pineapple stuff. It was kind of ridiculous. I ended up getting rid of most of it, but I still have a few favorite pieces.

12. May 12, 2015 / 11:08 AM

That’s a great tip! I’m totally going to try that next time. Thanks!

13. May 12, 2015 / 11:09 AM

Thanks Don! I love the look too. I found my black ones at hobby lobby! They had a big selection of different sizes.

14. May 12, 2015 / 11:10 AM

Sorry for spelling your name wrong! I’m on voice text! Ha ha

15. May 12, 2015 / 11:17 AM

Beautiful collection! I love how the different colored candles change the look at feel of your brass candlesticks. I like the patina and the beautiful styling in your home.
    Thanks for sharing and inspiring me.
    xoxo

16. Dawn
    May 12, 2015 / 12:55 PM

Yes, the ketchup works! My aunt used to use it all the time. Also, for bottoms of pans.

Thanks for the reply to black candle question, Lindsey!

Don 🙂

17. May 12, 2015 / 1:01 PM

This is awesome! I can totally imagine how giant that Santa figurine collection is. Great choice, by the way. I’m loving the look of the brass candlesticks.

The Office Stylist

18. May 12, 2015 / 1:21 PM

That is too funny! It’s so interesting learning about what people choose to collect. The only danger is that soon you’re known as ‘the snow-globe guy’ or whatever, and then you never get anything else. I had a friend who was super into smiley faces in middle school/high school. Smiley face wallpaper, bedspread, tshirts, pictures, backpack, buttons, pillows, you name it. That’s all she ever got for Christmas or her birthday, more and more smiley face stuff. One day she finally had enough, and got rid of everything. She’s probably traumatized when she sees a smiley face now!

19. May 12, 2015 / 5:20 PM

Lindsey, I didn’t know there were different qualities of brass. Learn something new everyday!! I like your collections. My favorites are the two you pictured with out candles in them. They have little handles and the look like they have wall hangers on them? Thanks for getting this fun tour together.

20. May 12, 2015 / 7:14 PM

Lindsey, I love your collection and so glad you shared it with us. I was all in for sharing my nativity collection in the tour but just couldn’t ever get around to unpacking them all again! Maybe next year!
    ~Tami

21. Maria from Oz
    May 12, 2015 / 7:51 PM

My candlesticks are mostly glass or crystal. It’s a sisterhood! Brass can be el cheapo made in India to the genuine whack Ms Scarlet in the Parlour type ones. Some can be copperplate on steel that look like brass but with one polish turn na-a-a-a-sty! As with all good collections, knowing when to stop before it turns into a psychiatric disorder and a TV show in its own right is the trick! At least you and I are prepared if there is a power black out!

22. May 12, 2015 / 8:56 PM

Oh man, I don’t blame you! We could do a holiday collection tour!

23. May 12, 2015 / 8:57 PM

I learned all about the copperplate on steel with a set of bookends! It was so disheartening how disgusting they became! You are always such a riot Maria!!!

24. Marci
    May 13, 2015 / 2:32 AM

When I was in Jr. High, I was shopping for Christmas at a bookstore and, on impulse I bought a cute bookmark with a tassel. I kept buying more and more, and as I got older I chose bookmarks that are less cute and more interesting. The last time I counted, I had well over 100. I also collect refrigerator magnets (I know, who doesn’t?) from my travels, and lately I’ve become obsessed with cobalt blue glass. My favorite piece is a Blenko water bottle I found at a Salvation Army thrift store back East. My next collection will be blue and white plates and pottery. I’d like to get them from as many different countries as possible. I plan to hang the plates on a wall in my kitchen.

25. May 13, 2015 / 6:44 PM

Those are beautiful. I love brash. I have one pair of brass candlesticks gifted to us many years ago!
    Nancy

26. September 16, 2016 / 5:55 AM

I agree about weight being an important factor in ascertaining quality. I love the Drop brass candleholders designed by Matthew Hilton – each one weighs almost a kilo !

27. Pam Dunivan
    September 1, 2017 / 9:28 PM

After all my years of polishing brass, I have found an all natural way to do the job much better than all other products. I was skeptical until I tried this, but IT WORKS!!! Apply ketchup (any brand will do) and let it do all the work. Apply it rather thick and leave it on for 10-15 minutes (I was impatient so I checked after 5 minutes and was already amazed). Wash the ketchup away and reapply if necessary. I used it on an intricate 100+ year old clock pendulum and it is still beautiful after two years. Believe me the tarnish was the worst I have ever seen. I did a sample test and it was amazing how simple the “ketchup polish” is. I have tried the “vinegar and salt” as a polish but it brings out that copper orange color in the brass. Ketchup leaves the brass gold like it is supposed to be. You will never use anything else again.