My Mini Bathroom Makeover

My Mini Bathroom Makeover

Hey gang, remember how we’re in the throes of redoing our floors? And how my entire house is a disaster full of rubble and dust and every item of furniture we own is crammed into my office, where I am writing this as we speak, piles of crap teetering dangerously above my head?

Well, the madness was too much. I was overwhelmed with the mess and needed at least one pretty little spot in the house. So I decided now was as good a time as ever to pay some attention to my bathroom upstairs.

bathroom before makeover | betterafter.net

I’m sorry little bathroom! I have neglected you!

Builder bland bathroom before  | betterafter.net

So here it is after its mini-makeover:

Bathroom makeover with stenciled wall  | betterafter.net

Drifting Arrows wall stencil in bathroom makeover  | betterafter.net

Bathroom makeover with stenciled wall  | betterafter.net

Nothing a little bit of paint and some accessorizing can’t fix! It’s a small step toward my ultimate master bedroom vision of “Monochromatic and Glamorous!” which is prettier in my head than my words are making it sound.

I purchased a few new things, but most everything else were items I already had.  It’s amazing the possibilities that open up when your entire house is turned inside out.

Sometimes we get stuck with things ‘belonging’ in once place that we never bother to check if they would look great somewhere else. Try it! Take some of your favorite accessories on a field trip around your house and see for yourself.  Maybe that jar that is ‘supposed’ to go in the kitchen will actually fit perfectly in the bathroom and you’ll end up loving it ten thousand times more than you ever did before.

Initial jewlery dish  | betterafter.net

My sister-in-law gave me this tiny dish with my initial on it, and while I loved it, I never knew what exactly to do with it. Turns out it wanted to be a perfect little jewelry catch-all on the bathroom counter all along!

silver side table with wood top | betterafter.net

The table is from HomeGoods, and I just love it. I love that the footprint is so small, it only takes up about one tile’s worth of space, so I can move it around.  I’m actually planning to keep it closer to the shower, which I didn’t clean, so I didn’t take any pictures of that side of the bathroom to show you. Ha! But I promise I do have a shower, and I sometimes even use it.

The brush isn’t a prop either, I’m giving this ‘dry brushing‘ craze a try.  Have you ever heard of it? Had amazing results? Do tell, do tell.

The chandelier is a $9 Goodwill find, and while I like gold, I wasn’t digging this brassy gold, so I gave it a quick coat of silver spray paint.

goodwill chandelier before  | betterafter.net

Silver painted chandelier makeover  | betterafter.net

In all truthfulness, I went with black first (why? I don’t know), but that made it looked like a scary spider, so THEN I went with silver.  I wish it was a shinier finish, but it was $9, so I ain’t mad at it.

The wall stencil is called Drifting Arrows by Cutting Edge Stencils. It was tricky working around the window right in the middle of the wall, but all in all it probably only took a couple hours. Definitely a two-person job.

Mercury glass vase from HomeGoods  | betterafter.net

Pearlized wall medallion from HomeGoods  | betterafter.net

Wall medallion from HomeGoods, stenciled wall  | betterafter.net

I love how the light catches these medallions, and that they’re slightly different from each other too.

bathroom accessories  | betterafter.net

Thanks for looking! Hope you enjoyed it! Here’s a list of sources if you had any questions:

• Gold book: I made that with gold leaf and hot glue!
  • Vase, wall medallions, silver side table: HomeGoods
  • Rug: Ross
  • Chandelier: Goodwill find
  • Initial dish: Anthropologie (I think)
  • Stencil: Drifting Arrows by Cutting Edge Stencils.
  • Wall Color: Accessible Beige (most boring paint color name of all time) by Sherwin Williams

I sure would appreciate it if you pinned and shared this post!

1. Molly
    February 21, 2015 / 1:55 PM

I love it! Maybe someday when we actually own a house I’ll put work into a bathroom – the closest ours have ever gotten to being fancy is “Hey it’s clean AND the towels are matching!” – and even that is rare 🙂

2. Kendra
    February 21, 2015 / 2:03 PM

pretty pretty pretty!

3. February 21, 2015 / 2:54 PM

This is gorgeous Lindsey!! I love the wall stencil and all the fun accents. It looks like such a relaxing place, I don’t think I would ever get out of the tub 😉

4. February 21, 2015 / 3:32 PM

Hi there! It looks very pretty, but I’m going to have to put on my Home Inspector hat and tell you that it is very much against code to have a hanging light fixture over the tub. The steam from the hot water will not play nice with a fixture that’s not rated for a moist location. Just something to keep in mind!

5. Leatha Riddle
    February 21, 2015 / 3:37 PM

I love everything about this! Its amazing how it always comes down to the little things!

6. LeeAnn
    February 21, 2015 / 3:54 PM

You did a lovely job!! It’s really pretty and so inviting. Speaking of which, can I have your address so I can drop by for a soak under the chandelier?

7. February 21, 2015 / 4:17 PM

It looks fabulous, Lindsey!! I love the stencil pattern in the mix!

8. Heather M
    February 21, 2015 / 5:25 PM

I love it!!! You motivated me to do something with my bathroom!! It needs help ASAP!

9. February 21, 2015 / 6:46 PM

Your bathroom turned out very pretty. I like how you kept the color pallet light and simple but you added a lot of accessories and pattern with the stencil and rug. and btw, that table is super cute!

10. February 21, 2015 / 7:01 PM

It looks like a beautiful oasis! If I had such a bathroom, I’d find every excuse to take a bath and just enjoy the room!!

11. February 21, 2015 / 7:09 PM

Love, love, love! Will you come do mine next?

12. Janet
    February 21, 2015 / 8:11 PM

Love your bathroom! A question- did you remove the light and direct wire the chandelier? Or is it something that screws in where the bulb was?

13. Megan Rose
    February 21, 2015 / 8:34 PM

I love this! This is my kind of makeover too. Sometimes I see the ones where everything is gutted (like the rest of your house??) and I want to do it so bad but then I get overwhelmed. I love seeing this kind where just a few small differences and accessories seriously make such a HUGE difference. Then I don’t get overwhelmed and I can actually finish out the project 🙂 Thank you so much for sharing! You have such an eye for beautiful things!

14. Carol-Anne
    February 21, 2015 / 8:41 PM

Gorgeous! I like the chandelier just as it is now….it adds just the right touch!

15. February 21, 2015 / 10:45 PM

It looks fabulous! Great Job!

16. Jane
    February 22, 2015 / 8:20 AM

I love the stencil you picked out! I love the octagons on the chandelier (and even like the brassy gold- with a good polishing). I love that table, too. I was at Home Goods yesterday and didn’t see one.

17. February 22, 2015 / 11:17 AM

Its beautiful!

18. February 22, 2015 / 11:30 AM

What a great makeover! I really love the wallpaper that you chose, really pretty!

19. Denette
    February 22, 2015 / 12:17 PM

I love your writing…As you can see, it was severely lacking in attention. It was on the brink of picking fights with strangers and starting fires at school. It probably already has a tattoo that I don’t know about. So great! I can’t fathom tearing apart floors and deciding to tackle a makeover on your bathroom that includes painting, stencil and redoing a light. Well done!

20. February 22, 2015 / 2:05 PM

It all looks so sophisticated and gorgeous! I love the stencil that you chose!

21. Jessica H
    February 22, 2015 / 2:15 PM

I just picked up a blue jar from my mantel and put it in the bathroom to hold cotton balls. Yay! I love how each thing you did in that bathroom was so simple. It makes a big difference. I love the idea of a little table next to the tub.

22. Centsational Girl
    February 22, 2015 / 7:08 PM

Looks lovely!!! Amazing what a little stencil and fresh paint can do, such a little blissful spot!
    xo
    Kate

23. February 22, 2015 / 8:02 PM

Beautiful job, Lindsey! Simple and clean, exactly how a bathroom should welcome its guests!

24. February 22, 2015 / 9:25 PM

Wonderful! I love how you have all these little details, yet it’s still a relaxing, serene space.

25. staci
    February 22, 2015 / 9:43 PM

So pretty! LOOOVVVEEE the stencil!

26. Reenie
    February 23, 2015 / 8:26 AM

Love it ~ very pretty.

27. February 23, 2015 / 10:09 AM

This is EXACTLY how I feel too! Thanks so much for your kind words Megan!

28. February 23, 2015 / 10:12 AM

Hi Janet! We removed the light and wired in the chandelier. There used to be a recessed light there, so we bought a little kit from The Home Depot that helped cover the big hole and lower the wiring house. I think it was about $16.

29. February 23, 2015 / 10:33 AM

How chic this is!!! I love the finish you ended up with on the chandy. 9 dollah??? What a steal! Everything is so harmonious now – I am totally going to take my knick knacks on a field trip. Thanks for the inspiration, L!

30. February 23, 2015 / 2:18 PM

I love it when you show a project you have done yourself! I have a similar looking bathroom. I lovingly picked fittings and a chandelier when we built the house in 2007, but then I stopped. This has inspired me to finish it off–perhaps one day I will be a better after :).

31. February 23, 2015 / 5:13 PM

oh goodness gracious, Lindsey, that is GORGEOUS! Love the chandy. And well, the whole darn thing!

32. Reshma Sanjeev
    February 24, 2015 / 12:06 PM

Lindsey, I like what you did. The bathroom looks so different.

33. February 26, 2015 / 12:45 PM

Thanks so much Reshma! I am seeing your comments, I hope you’re not having trouble seeing them! Thank you so much for reading and enjoying my blog, it means so much to me. 🙂

34. Deb
    February 26, 2015 / 9:04 PM

Your bathroom looks so pretty & fresh. One thing for you to think about—If someone is standing in a tub full of water & touches the chandelier they are toast. I wanted to have a chandelier above my tub when we built our house & the inspector nixed it for that reason. I didn’t see why until he explained that I could be electrocuted!!

35. Thea
    September 30, 2015 / 4:20 PM

Hi Lindsey..beautiful bathroom! I’m getting ready to use the same stencil in my our half bath. Can you tell me did you use the small scale or large scale drifting arrow stencil?