Red Strokes

Red Strokes

I’m sure I’ve mentioned this before, but do you remember that music video by Garth Brooks approximately 100 years ago, back when I was in middle school, for his song The Red Strokes? Oh man. Go watch it if you want to see a very passionate (and skinny) Garth Brooks pounding his heart out on a piano in what looks like a giant puddle of blood, but is actually red paint.  Stick around for the guitar solo. It’s so fantastically terribly wonderful.

Anyway, that song always comes to mind whenever I share red makeovers, and I’ve got a handful of them today.

OOOHHH, the RED STROKES!!!!  Passions uncaged!

Here Christina at Phoenix Restoration fearlessly updated some campaign-style nightstands, which just led me on a 15-minute search through my local Craigslist to see if I could find some myself.  Unfortunately I could not.  The Phoenix Craigslist continues to be a garbage pit of overpriced yard-sale castoffs.

brown - campaign style-dresser - before

Campaign - Dressers - Red - Makeovers |betterafter.net

Julie at Simple Redesign was instructed to give this piece a ‘chippy antique’ look by a client, which she achieved by using Old Fashioned Milk Paint in Barn Red.

If you’ve ever used milk paint, you may have been disappointed by its super-matte finish. It is flatter than flat. No worries though, a topcoat is all it takes to bring it to life. Julie used a low-gloss sealer to give this buffet just the right amount of shine.
Brown - buffet- before

Buffet- Red - Makeovers |betterafter.net

Now it’s time for my favorite movie quote:

“A gun rack? I don’t even own *A* gun. Let alone many guns that would necessitate an entire rack. What am I gonna do … with a gun rack?”

Well Wayne, you could always take up gardening. How about that?

Astral Riles added a pegboard to the back of hers, and now she’s got a handy gardening station to liven up her yard.

Gun Rack - before

Gardening Tool Holder- Red - Makeovers |betterafter.net

Whenever Tami at Curb Alert is busy with projects, her daughter likes to tag-along too. She stays busy by practicing her painting alongside her mama on this child-sized desk.

But Tami thought it was time to use the desk as less of an canvas and more of a desk, so she took over and gave it an adorable ‘back-to-school’ themed makeover.  No worries though, her daughter has moved on to a new art piece. Maybe she’ll be blogging her own makeovers soon enough!

Kid - Desk - Before

School Desk- Red - Makeovers |betterafter.net

And finally, a simple red on an outdated hutch. Doesn’t it look so classic? Sarah also changed the hardware and added an antiquing glaze, and if you like the paint color, she’s got the exact specifications over at FunCycled.

Brown Hutch - Before

Hutch - Red - Makeovers |betterafter.net

1. January 9, 2015 / 8:50 AM

Dang it! I knew I should have held on to my dad’s old wood shop gun rack. It had only been sitting in storage for 40+ years. (He doesn’t know I took it to Goodwill a few months back). Creative makeover on that one, for sure! And I love the red hutch – looks great!

Thanks so much for the feature, Lindsey! Have a great day.

2. Jamie Lynn
    January 9, 2015 / 10:37 AM

I remember that video very well – it used to kind of freak me out!

3. January 9, 2015 / 10:59 AM

Awesome pieces with a great new look! It does make you wonder why we have given away beautiful pieces that could have been made over.

4. January 9, 2015 / 1:43 PM

I think about that all the time! I had ugly mismatched cabinets in the kitchen of our first home, and I wish I would have known then that I could just paint them!

5. January 9, 2015 / 1:43 PM

Oh yeah. It was pretty intense! Garth’s piercing stare doesn’t help.

6. Heather M
    January 9, 2015 / 3:07 PM

Strangely, I am listening to some old time Garth Brooks right now. Only I’m doing the “Standing Outside the Fire” thing. That video is so intense! Anyways, I love all of these makeovers! I love red. I wish I knew how to incorporate it into my house somehow!

7. January 9, 2015 / 3:20 PM

That little desk is adorable! I kind of want one, ha, it’s just so cute!
    And that Garth Brooks video can’t be 100 years old, because I remember that one! I was actually thinking about it the other day – some other music video allegedly has the same sort of thing, but with paint, and it reminded me of that, ha!

8. January 9, 2015 / 3:40 PM

Thanks so much for sharing our hutch makeover! 🙂 Love the others, too!

9. LeeAnn
    January 9, 2015 / 5:25 PM

I love the makeover of the chippy antique by Julie. I have a piece just like I got from my grandmother and it really needs an update. I was thinking blue until I saw the red one. What to do. What to do.

That school desk is adorable and I love it!

10. January 10, 2015 / 3:26 PM

Lindsey, thank you so much for sharing my daughter’s little red school desk! It was so much fun to work on!
    Tami

11. Cathie
    January 10, 2015 / 3:39 PM

I hear you on Phoenix Craigslist. Ever shop for a desk? I’m like “Uh, that is not a $200 desk.”

12. Mumzy
    January 11, 2015 / 10:12 AM

These are amazing!!!!!! I need a new project!!!! My craigslist isn’t much better.

13. Katrina
    January 11, 2015 / 4:26 PM

I just watched the video… I was a little scared that he scowled the whole time! Could you imagine how long it took them to clean that red paint up?! I love the hutch and the little red desk. I love the talent of people!

14. January 12, 2015 / 10:20 AM

I believe it! I just love when I find used Ikea stuff for more than Ikea sells it for. :/

15. January 12, 2015 / 3:59 PM

Love the red dressers! I haven’t done any diy projects in awhile! I’m itching to refinish a dresser for my baby girl due in April! Gonna go browse craigslist! 🙂