It’s rude to stair.

Better After reader Lynn had an unfortunate wall-o-stairs that punched you in the face as soon as you stepped foot inside her front door.  How unwelcoming!  Alongside the light-blocking stairs, the entryway was also rocking two different linoleums, a fugomatic light fixture, and a flowery faux stained-glass sidelight.  Hrm.  Change was needed here.

And boy oh boy, Lynn changed it all and then some, right down to the light switches. The new banister opens the space up and makes it feel so much bigger and brighter.  Huge impact!

Before-Front Entry (2)

After-Front Entry (1)

Out of all the recent changes she’s made on her home, she reports that this one is still her favorite.  Not hard to see why!

A beautiful staircase entryway makeover at betterafter.net

A beautiful staircase entryway makeover at betterafter.net

Subscribe Contact Pinterest Twitter Instagram Facebook
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Comments

1. When you see that, doesn’t it make you wonder why anyone would ever enclose a staircase like that? Fabulous job!

2. Elisabeth Grant says:

Wow! That is fantastic! I love the new floors and the wood on the the steps. I’m inspired!

3. Leatha Riddle says:

Wow!! Amazing!!!

4. Virginia Cumberbatch says:

Fantastic makeover!!

5. Well done!

6. Of course it is more beautiful. Every single thing in that entryway was changed. The flooring, the window, the stairwell, the door hardware, the light switches, the window, the rug, the artwork on the wall, the ceiling light fixture, even the sunshine. I like a little challenge in my makeovers. One change that will make all the difference. It’s not what you have, it is how you arrange it.

7. Beautiful and bright.

8. What a transformation! Lovely!

9. Great improvement. Its just beautiful.

10. really nice!

11. Love it! It is so much brighter and much more welcoming.

12. Gorgeous! I have an entry way kind of like that and I’ve been trying to figure out what to do with the horrible runner on the stairs, and the windows next to the door. Thank you for the answer!

13. PS – SILLY question, but where’d you get that rug?

Thanks!

Shannon

14. Wow–what a huge difference! It’s amazing how much more light comes in. Beautiful transformation!

15. Jessica H says:

Oh, yeah. Much better.

16. The banister makes all the difference. Light brings life to rooms!
    Becca,
    Bexbernard.com

17. Hi Shannon,
    The rug is from Homegoods. I purchased it (approx. size 3×5) about 2 months ago.

18. Heather k Miller says:

We are building a home right now and it was an upgrade to put an open rail instead of that huge wall going up the staircase. I couldn’t believe that wasn’t standard! I don’t know why they would put a wall like that up a staircase…it makes the house feel so… Boxy, closed in, suffocating. They did a great job opening up their entry way!

19. Fugomatic is my new word! LOL

20. Beautiful!!! Do you have a blog or pictures of other projects you’ve done?

21. Chantell Patrick says:

Love it! Love you too dear, betterafter is the only blog I faithfully read.

22. Awww, that’s so nice to hear Chantell! Thanks! :)

23. I was hoping there was a blog I could go to that would show steps to removing the stairway wall. Darn it! Anyway, I think it’s beautiful and so much brighter and more welcoming!