Because they’re the real masters anyway!

Because they’re the real masters anyway!

Can someone please explain to me the concept of the master bedroom?  Sure, as ‘master’ of the house, I appreciate a spacious bedroom, but they are getting out of hand lately! I walked through a model home recently, just a standard suburban style home, and the master bedroom had a fireplace, a separate lounge area with a TV nook and a wetbar, an exercise room, a master closet the size of a bedroom, and a shower that could have easily fit twelve people.  It was 1/3 of the entire house! Who spends that much time in their bedroom? I guess if you’ve been quarantined maybe?  Or have no hobbies other than working out and showering?

Sarah’s master bedroom was not of ridiculous proportions, but it was the largest room in the house, and was a big waste of space.  So she gave it to her daughters!  Looks like they  are loving and using every adorable inch.  So cute.

An adorable girl bedroom/nursery makeover at betterafter.net

An adorable girl bedroom/nursery makeover at betterafter.net

See more on her blog LA LA land.

An adorable girl bedroom/nursery makeover at betterafter.net

An adorable girl bedroom/nursery makeover at betterafter.net

1. Kim from Milwaukee
    March 27, 2014 / 7:56 AM

I love that flooring!!!! What a great job she did!

2. Ruth A
    March 27, 2014 / 8:02 AM

1) Mum of the year for realizing that the space could be better utilised this way.
    2) Oh lordy the floor! I love the spindle bed as well, I always lusted after those when I was a kid but mostly because I wanted to paint a stripe around the groove so my bed looked like it belonged to willy wonka. I was an odd preteen (I also wanted it to be rainbow themed!).
    3) Just wanted to comment and say you’re awesome. Y’know in case you were wondering if anyone obsessively compulsively checks to see if you are still updating or if you have drowned in a sea of baby diapers and exhaustion.

3. Hil
    March 27, 2014 / 8:24 AM

Cute! I love the colors.

4. kharking
    March 27, 2014 / 8:34 AM

Just darling! Growing up, we had a girls double room that was in the “master” with an attached 3/4 bath. I’m sure my parents considered it well worth the sacrifice to have a bedroom downstairs where they had to walk down the hall to the bathroom and I know that my brother was glad that he only had to share a bathroom with one sister!

5. March 27, 2014 / 9:02 AM

I love this one!

6. G
    March 27, 2014 / 9:07 AM

That floor. I die.

7. Rachel
    March 27, 2014 / 9:09 AM

I agree about the huge master bedrooms! Who gets a chance to spend that much time in their bedroom? My husband and I put a wall up in our master (an open top floor bedroom) so we could do foster care/adopt our two oldest. Best decision we ever made. Not “Better After” worthy though 🙂 Right now my master is serving as my sewing area until we finish our garage renovation (new house for us).

8. Denise
    March 27, 2014 / 9:16 AM

SO CUTE. Oh my gosh. I love that twin bed frame. And the floor. And the colors. And the dresser. Oh, I just love it all!

9. Colyn
    March 27, 2014 / 9:46 AM

Love the change. I agree about Master rooms being so unnecessarily big — better use for your little ones. And I adore the white Jenny Lind bed — looks so feminine. I miss mine now. Great job!

10. Kim
    March 27, 2014 / 10:52 AM

BEAUTIFUL! Love it! Also the floor is swoon worthy:)

11. Amanda
    March 27, 2014 / 11:07 AM

That floor is absolutely to die for!! Honestly, I think that’s the most beautiful one I’ve ever seen.

12. Peggy
    March 27, 2014 / 11:15 AM

I love the floor. But what the heck; I love it ALL! Can I move in, too?

13. March 27, 2014 / 12:55 PM

What lucky little girls! Beautifully done! I have a spindle bed that I was thinking of making into a bench, but seeing it in this setting I think I will be painting it white, it looks great!

14. March 27, 2014 / 1:33 PM

Master bedroom suites have gotten out of hand. I traded the larger bedroom with my son years ago too, best use of space in my opinion.

15. LeeAnn
    March 27, 2014 / 5:28 PM

This is a great idea. The room is fabulous and the colors just beautiful.

16. March 27, 2014 / 6:11 PM

OMG, I so want to use that flooring concept!!! LUV!!!

17. March 28, 2014 / 12:40 AM

That is just spectacular – love every single detail – what lucky little girls! ( and strangely that could be my bedroom – but empty nester here and I’m keeping it lol )
    I’ve never had a large anything to be honest with you – all my houses have been small!
    xoxo

18. Jolene
    March 28, 2014 / 12:25 PM

SO much agree with you about the master bedroom phenomenon! Do they think parents just come home and hang out in their MB with the door closed and let the kids just “work it out”? You can have a great, relaxing MB without all the excess. This is such a wise use of space – kudos to her and her decorating is fabulous to boot!

19. Pia
    March 28, 2014 / 4:44 PM

That mint dresser is to die for!

20. jane
    February 16, 2015 / 1:15 PM

I’ve been thinking of this. We have a handicapped daughter who needs more space and it would give immediate access to the master bath. But our house is a model before the kingly master bedroom and my hubby and I would never fit into her room. But someday!