White it down.

White it down.

If you’ve been around this blog for awhile, then you’re fully aware of my fear of knotty wood. It’s been documented a time or two or ten. I wouldn’t say it’s a full-blown phobia, but it’s definitely teetering on the brink. Which is a shame, because this little dresser is such a cutie.  Nice carved details, keyholes, and an adorable scalloped edge along the bottom.  Too bad its covered in all those knotty eyeholes of evil.

But don’t fear! (I’m mostly talking to myself.  You are probably pretty normal, and not getting the cold sweats looking at this dresser). Better After reader Rayana hid the horrors with a simple white-washing treatment.  Ugh, I’m such a fan. I love white-washing.  It’s got that weathered look going on without being overly distressed to the point of cheesiness.  Versatile, is what I’m saying, you dig?

See more from Rayana on her page FiRefinish.

white washed dresser treatment on betterafter.net

white washed dresser treatment on betterafter.net

1. January 29, 2014 / 3:31 PM

I definitely dig it! This is perfectly weathered, beautiful!

2. Heather
    January 29, 2014 / 8:05 PM

Love the simplicity. Pretty!

3. January 29, 2014 / 11:55 PM

Glad to know their are other knotty pine haters out there. Much better after.

4. Danielle
    January 30, 2014 / 10:31 AM

Just HAD to comment on this one. I do suffer from a full blown phobia of knotty wood. I think that if I went to therapy I might discover that I had been attacked by it as a small child, but I think its best to leave well enough alone. Anywho, keep up the good work of giving me awesome examples to show to my husband of all things beautifully painted over! :0 )

5. Bee
    January 30, 2014 / 3:50 PM

I must say that knotty wood is an acquired taste–and I have acquired it. So I’m not a fan of the makeover this time, sad to say. I like painted furniture too, but am getting a little sick of the white-wash treatment. This is a really cute dresser. I would have left this dresser alone, or improved the stain, or painted it a solid color. JMHO.

6. January 30, 2014 / 11:32 PM

I’m with Bee on this one. Not a fan of the finished dresser. I too would have painted it a solid color instead.