The Dealin’s Done

The Dealin’s Done

You gotta know when to hold ’em.  Know when to fold ’em.  Know when to walk away, and know when to run.  This sound advice has been brought to you by Kenny Rogers. But I think he could also be talking about furniture, if he was into that sort of thing.  Sometimes, you gotta know when to say no to another layer of paint, and strip something back down to it’s original fabulousness instead.

See what magic happened when Katie (sort of) followed Kenny’s words of wisdom?  She knew that this MCM table deserved better than the sticky, streaky hand it had been dealt, so she trusted her gut and ended up with a beautiful piece.  Bingo! Or Blackjack!  Or whatever! It looks awesome.

See more from Katie at Where there are Octobers, and check out her wildly popular keyhole dresser too.

Subscribe Contact Pinterest Twitter Instagram Facebook

1. June 11, 2013 / 3:07 PM

Whoever painted that table should be tarred and feathered. The after is lovely!

2. June 11, 2013 / 3:19 PM

Holy mother of furniture gods…that after is a beauty! There’s almost no way that after is the same piece of furniture! That wood is so perfect and untainted. 🙂

3. June 11, 2013 / 3:57 PM

I hope who ever painted that little table does something else for a living now a days. eek.

The after is truly amazing! I’m with Amy Lynn…hard to believe it’s the same table.

4. June 11, 2013 / 4:10 PM

I agree with G! That is an awesome midmo piece!

5. June 11, 2013 / 4:14 PM

Huge improvement!

6. June 11, 2013 / 4:14 PM

Wow, if I had seen the before, I might have just walked on by. The after is so gorgeous! Great job, Katie!

7. June 11, 2013 / 4:43 PM

I love this makeover as I always do with the things you show. I wan to know when are you going to do Fashion Fridays again? I really miss that section. Also, I have looked and looked for an older post of a site where you can order dresses made to order and chose sleeve length, dress length, etc. I have looked everywhere on your site that I can think to and still can’t find it. Please help!?!?!?!?!

8. June 11, 2013 / 4:45 PM

This comment has been removed by the author.

9. June 11, 2013 / 6:17 PM

@Sydney, I miss the Fashion Fridays too! I’ll have to get my butt in gear and round up a few. And the dress company you are thinking of is Eshakti.com I LOVE them. 🙂

10. June 11, 2013 / 6:43 PM

That Before picture is a perfect example of why painting furniture should NOT be taken lightly or rushed. Holy poop, Batman!

I thought it was a water-damaged Walmart table at first glance.

I wouldn’t have looked twice if I saw it by the dumpster. Now, I know numerous people who would shell out hundies for that pretty table!

11. June 11, 2013 / 9:57 PM

What a mess the original was. Thank goodness Katie saved it, it has such great lines.

12. June 11, 2013 / 11:59 PM

If she knew the it was a MCM piece than why put that knob on it! I think a simple stainless steel pull would have really finished it perfectly. I’m a bit of a mcm purist but that looks too cutesy on there to be true! Beautiful job on the strip and stain though 🙂

13. June 12, 2013 / 1:04 AM

Vomit, then woohoo! Who in their right mind paints OVER such a glorious piece of action? Simplicity in the plainness. Mid century is what I grew up with and seeing it again makes me wish for the good old days when simple was the bees knees!

14. June 15, 2013 / 8:12 AM