Boom! Heirloom.

Boom! Heirloom.

Something about this armoire seemed sad.  Probably because the top of it was shaped like a frown. And that color was so lifeless too. Doesn’t it look like it needs a hug? Man, I’m getting bummed out the more I look at it.  But, hold on to your flip-flops, because you won’t believe what Sarah at Funcycled did with it. AMAZIFIED it.  Seriously.  Amazing.

Sarah reports that those hand-carved onlays did not come cheap, but they added so much to this piece that whatever she paid was worth it.  It’s positively heirloom-worthy!

PS: I’ve gotten some comments from a few readers lately saying that they’d really like to see the before and after pics side-by-side on this ol’ blog too. So let’s try it out, shall we?

Boom!
What do you think? I can see the appeal, but it’s also like … 20 seconds of extra work for me, so I don’t knowwwwww …  I’d love to hear your thoughts.

Subscribe Contact Pinterest Twitter Instagram Facebook

1. June 28, 2013 / 2:32 PM

Yes! Side-by-side is great. Less scrolling (and an extra 2 seconds) for us 🙂

2. June 28, 2013 / 2:36 PM

I like them better as single shots – ONLY because they are larger, and you can see more details. 🙂

3. June 28, 2013 / 2:40 PM

I vote vertical images should go side by side, but keep horizontal ones separate.

4. June 28, 2013 / 2:50 PM

I don’t see the need for extra work on your part. I agree with Wendy; and it’s no big deal to spend the time observing the differences from an independent perspective. It increases my ability to drink in the changes. You’re helping my cognitive abilities, Lindsey! Thank you!

5. June 28, 2013 / 2:54 PM

I like the new color on the wardrobe. I think that the carved accent is too much; it’s a simple design and it clutters up the charm of the piece. I DO, however, like the change in pulls on the drawers and the change-out of the door pulls to keyhole pulls. Good job!

6. June 28, 2013 / 2:59 PM

I like the side-by-side, but I also like the bigger pictures and the surprise you get by having to scroll down to see the after picture. So today’s format was pretty much perfect–the big pictures for the big reveal, but smaller side-by-side so you can compare the difference easily.

7. June 28, 2013 / 3:14 PM

side-by-side = great idea

8. June 28, 2013 / 3:20 PM

I’m on the side-by-side boat (that sounded weird)! 😉
    LOVE the after with the armoire. GORGEOUS!!

9. June 28, 2013 / 3:22 PM

I also agree with Melissa. I like having the surprise of scrolling down and seeing the after show. I think both methods would serve your blog well Lindsey!

10. June 28, 2013 / 3:49 PM

Not to make even more work for you, but I also like Melissa’s idea to have the big pictures followed by the side-by-side, like you did this post 🙂

11. June 28, 2013 / 3:59 PM

I like the side by side, but I like the vertical as well – I get bigger pics if they are vertical so can see details better. Do whatever is easiest for you. I’ll keep coming back no matter what.

12. June 28, 2013 / 4:10 PM

I’m with Melissa: Love the surprise factor of scrolling down and your commentary in between but I LOVE the side-by-side mostly so it can be pinned as one image! I think being able to do that would draw more attention to your blog, actually!

13. June 28, 2013 / 4:11 PM

At Last! I’ve wished for side-by-side pics – for me, it’s easier to make the comparison. Whichever way you decide to go, thanks for what you do.

14. June 28, 2013 / 4:14 PM

I like the individual pictures better. I like being surprised when I have to scroll down.

Alison

15. June 28, 2013 / 4:33 PM

Individual furniture pieces could go side by side, but whole room makeovers need the extra space. Plus, side by side ruins the big reveal factor which is fun. I like reading your commentary before I see the piece in question. Also, since I read your blog in Feedly, there are sidebars that reduce the actual space allotted to the blog itself. So the pictures are smaller for me than they would be for you.

16. June 28, 2013 / 4:33 PM

Okay, first of all, what would I do without you to crack me up every day? Love the makeover. LOVE the side-by-sides. The 20 seconds is totally worth it. haha

17. June 28, 2013 / 4:35 PM

Oh, I just read the other comments… I like it just the way you have it today:

BEFORE
    AFTER
    Side-by-side

🙂

18. June 28, 2013 / 4:46 PM

Love how you did this post: a single large pic of each and then a side by side of the before and after at the end. Perfect!!

19. June 28, 2013 / 8:19 PM

Oh my!!That is so beautiful, it took my breath away! Seriously…I stopped breathing.
    I need to find an armoire now!!! Amazing job!!!!!!

20. June 28, 2013 / 10:06 PM

Love the side-by-side pictures!

21. June 29, 2013 / 12:04 AM

I love to see them as a scroll down, bit like the ol’ drum roll and then TA-DA!!!! But then if I want to actually compare something I prefer side by side.
    However who cares in this case? This armoire is divine! Wonderful job!

22. June 29, 2013 / 1:17 AM

LOVE the ‘after’ especially since it isn’t distressed 🙂 I always wonder why some pieces get all that prepping done only to make them look worn out already (?) Just my own opinion…. And yes the side-by-side photos are a great idea. 🙂

23. June 29, 2013 / 2:39 AM

Yes for side by side – picmonkey makes it oh so easy!

24. June 29, 2013 / 4:11 AM

The side-by-side is better to compare the befores and afters, but we still need the before at the top with the after underneath for the dramatic reveal.

25. June 29, 2013 / 8:17 AM

Both separate AND side-by-side. Today’s post is perfect, big pics and surprise at the top, with a smaller side-by-side image at the bottom. The smaller side-by-side pic is perfect for pinning!

26. June 29, 2013 / 2:09 PM

I love scrolling down for the reveal!

27. June 30, 2013 / 8:31 AM

This is the perfect re-do. I love it. Nice job

28. June 30, 2013 / 7:15 PM

That is the cat’s meow!! Love the color & the inlays.

29. June 30, 2013 / 7:16 PM

That is the cat’s meow!! Love the color & the inlays.

30. June 30, 2013 / 7:17 PM

Onlay, not inlay. That’s what I really meant. 😉

31. June 30, 2013 / 7:17 PM

I like being able to see both images at the same time, so I am a fan of the side-by-side picture at the end of the post. I really like having the larger single pictures to see first.

32. June 30, 2013 / 11:08 PM

I’m going to pretend that my email was what made you go side-by-side 😉 I love the larger detail shots of the separate, but I LOVE the before and after contained in one picture file for inspiration-folder/pinterest goodness!

33. July 1, 2013 / 6:37 PM

I also like how you did it in this post.

34. July 11, 2013 / 12:47 AM

I do like the format you used in this post as well.

35. Morgan
    September 17, 2013 / 11:34 AM

Keep the side-by-side pictures!!! It’s amazing!!