Metal Heads

Metal Heads

If you want to be ‘fashion forward’ consider adding some metallic looks to your wardrobe, like so:

Hmmm … maybe this is a little too fashion forward.  Maybe you don’t want to look like a gold-plated Indiana Jones. Or an unopened Pop-Tart. Or like you picked up two dead things and forgot to put them down.  Never fear. You can still hop on the metallic bandwagon in the comfort of your own home, with your furniture instead!

Julie at Simple Redesign added decorative aluminum sheeting over the worn-out wicker of this dresser.  It adds just the perfect amount of sparkle without taking anything away from the dresser’s sleek, modern shape. I love the deeper stain of the wood now too.  Mmmmmhrrmmm.  That’s the sound of a grunt of approval.

And Stephanie discovered this cast-off dresser in a dumpster and was able to make magic with it, even though the middle drawer was missing. She simply removed the drawer next to it, and replaced them both with the top drawers. However, the top drawers are smaller than the other drawers, so what did she use to hide the gap?  Strips of metal of course!  This would look awesome prancing down any runway.  Check out more on her blog The Hardscrabble Home.

Subscribe Contact Pinterest Twitter Instagram Facebook

1. May 23, 2013 / 6:29 PM

“like you picked up 2 dead things and forgot to put them down.” -Almost made me snort smoothie (almost). Laughed out loud. Thanks.

2. May 23, 2013 / 8:32 PM

I look forward to reading your intros as well, you crack me up. Pop tart, dead things…i love it. Now about those dressers! They are both gorgeous, I keep going back and forth to chose a favorite, but can’t. I want them both.

3. May 23, 2013 / 9:31 PM

Both of those redos are fabulous! The first one looks sleek and stunning. It can be hard making midcentury pieces modern in a tasteful way…but that one nailed it. I’m also impressed the second was saved from being dumped – thumbs up for that, it looks amazing.

4. May 24, 2013 / 12:10 AM

Love both but the second one is the bee’s knees.

5. May 24, 2013 / 12:10 AM

Love both but the second one is the bee’s knees.

6. May 24, 2013 / 12:45 AM

This comment has been removed by the author.

7. May 24, 2013 / 1:52 AM

These mid cent re-do’s are breaking my heart 🙁 I don’t see what was wrong with the first one a little orange oil couldn’t fix. Now it just looks odd. The second one is a total Wahoo!!!

8. May 24, 2013 / 2:44 AM

If Indiana Jones found a magic lamp on one of his adventures and rubbed it, that girl would pop out to grant him three wishes.

The metal strips on the second project are genius!

9. May 24, 2013 / 10:50 AM

Thanks for featuring our makeover! My fear is that we peaked with this one (the 2nd dresser) and it’ll be all downhill from here! 🙂