Chalking It Up!

Chalking It Up!

Hey guess what?  You’re getting a before and after from ME today!  I know, I know, pigs flying and whatnots.  Well, if you follow me in Instagram (betterafterlnz) you may have seen the $14.99 Goodwill table I scored a few weeks (ok months) ago.

It was kind of gross.  My husband was not thrilled.

Well, it sat in my garage forever until the kind folks at Annie Sloan Unfolded offered me a chance to try out their Chalk Paint® decorative paint, in my choice of colors. Exciting! Though I was a Chalk Paint® virgin, I’ve seen duck egg blue successfully used in bloglandia hundreds of times, and thought it might look nice with my gray walls, so I decided to give it a go.

I sanded and stained the the tabletop nice and smooth, but wasn’t about to spend forever on those legs, which were coated in some sort of neglected waxy lacquer-like substance.  Luckily, the premise of this paint is that you can skip the sanding and priming steps and get straight to it.

Tada!  What do you think?  She’s worth a little more than $14.99, I hope!  I used Kona stain by Rustoleum on the top, and buffed it up to a soft finish with Annie Sloan Clear Soft Wax.  The Chalk Paint® was awesome to work with, I was shocked at how well it covered.  In fact, I even had to water it down a bit.
Psst: Want to see what it really looks like in real life?
Ha ha! I don’t normally have it tastefully styled with books and candles. No, this is where I keep this MASSIVE houseplant that I brought home from my Papa’s funeral last June. It’s sentimental and reminds me of him, so obviously I can’t bring myself to part with it, but man that thing is starting to take over the house.
Hey, here is one more project from me.  I’m on some kind of roll!  I wanted to add in a little more of  duck egg blue in the room, so I made this sign out of an old piece of plywood and a stencil.  There is a little heart on Arizona, if you can tell.  The white color also is also from Annie Sloan and called old white
  (I forgot to take a before… this is the back!)

Even though I didn’t distress the table, I wanted to really rough up the sign, just to see how the paint performed.  I’d heard many times how great Chalk Paint® it is to sand down and distress, and I was thrilled with the results.

And a couple more beauty shots, just for funzies.

If you are interested in learning more about Annie Sloan Chalk Paint® decorative paint, here are some links for you!

– Annie

Sloan Unfolded Facebook

– Annie

Sloan Unfolded Twitter

– Annie

Sloan Unfolded Pinterest

– Annie

Sloan on YouTube

Have a great weekend friend!

Subscribe Contact Pinterest Twitter Instagram Facebook

1. March 29, 2013 / 11:10 PM

Just so you know, I hate you for finding that table. But my hate is tempered by the fact that you made it look even more awesome. Nope … the hate is back again.

2. March 29, 2013 / 11:12 PM

I love the legs on that table good eye

3. March 29, 2013 / 11:24 PM

I love everything!!! Can I ask where you got the US stencil?

4. March 29, 2013 / 11:28 PM

Thanks guys! I actually made the stencil with my Silhouette machine, or more like, cobbled together a giant paper America and traced around it. 😉

5. March 30, 2013 / 12:20 AM

I’m not much on chalk paint but THIS is fantastic! Excellent piece. Not so much before but OH SO MUCH after! Yay for you!

6. March 30, 2013 / 1:37 AM

Way to go! It’s fun to see a project from YOU!

7. March 30, 2013 / 2:37 AM

Thus is gorgeous. Great job! !

8. March 30, 2013 / 3:16 AM

Love the color! I must try this paint.

9. March 30, 2013 / 3:28 AM

That table is awesome! Husbands have no vision… 😉

10. March 30, 2013 / 3:38 AM

I love your blog! Definitely following now, stay in touch xx

thedailysugar.blogspot.com

11. March 30, 2013 / 3:47 AM

I love the table and guess what!? I love it best with just the plant on it. The other stuff takes the eye away from the beautiful carving on the edge and the awesome swirly legs. That is just my opinion though. Thanks for sharing your creativity and making a place for people to share theirs. This is the blog I that I click to see every post.

12. March 30, 2013 / 4:19 AM

That table was worth more than $14.99 even before you gave her a whole new Easter outfit. Beautiful!

13. March 30, 2013 / 5:30 AM

Pigs flying for sure! I love your before and after. The table looks so, so amazing! (And the staging with the grey sock with pink hearts just does me in. It will be the new rage.)

14. March 30, 2013 / 6:15 AM

You did a fantastic job! I can totally picture this looking perfect in your house. Way to branch out against the gray. 🙂

15. March 30, 2013 / 7:05 AM

Beautiful work, Lindsey! That able has some great legs! 😉

I agree, staging with the gray and pink heart sock, adds to the overall look! It will be all the rage! 😉

One of these days I will need to try chalk paint!

16. March 30, 2013 / 12:02 PM

Wesołego Alleluja!

17. March 30, 2013 / 12:06 PM

Gorgeous! It’s nice to see some of your own work, you did a great job, that is a beautiful table. I love the other piece too, it turned out great, I love the worn look of it.

Faye (MacGIRLver)

18. March 30, 2013 / 1:24 PM

Fabulous find, I love the dark top and the blue on those gorgeous legs.

19. March 30, 2013 / 2:48 PM

LOVE the table! Those turned legs are gorgeous – even more so in that blue! And the sign is adorable. So glad you featured your own projects for a change!

20. March 30, 2013 / 2:57 PM

A vintage barley twist table for $ 14.99? Be still my heart! Great job.

21. March 30, 2013 / 3:06 PM

OMG I busted out laughing when I saw the ‘reality’ shot of the table with momstrous plant. Hilarious.
    The table is b-e-a-utiful. I hear about this chalk paint all the time, I need to google it to know what makes it so magical!

Britt @ Creating Space for Five

22. March 30, 2013 / 5:36 PM

Really love it – the table turned out beautifully and the sign is a bit of a scene-stealer! I too love and appreciate that you placed a stray sock on the chair instead of the throw. And, I totally ‘get’ where you’re at with the plant. It might need a bigger pot, though… at which point it will no longer fit on the table 😉

23. March 30, 2013 / 6:17 PM

the table is beautiful! I love the carved edge–a little bit of detail without being too frou frou. The colors are great!

24. March 30, 2013 / 9:26 PM

I love the table! And the stenciling is awesome! Go you!

25. March 31, 2013 / 12:13 AM

I’m having a visual affair with the table – before OR after (although you did a nice job there!)
    MUST STOP DROOLING!
    It’s just so darn shexxy! Love it love it love it! I would have paid twice that for it in the before condition!

26. March 31, 2013 / 3:11 AM

The table is amazing and I think your other sock is in my laundry room somewhere.

27. March 31, 2013 / 12:44 PM

So jealous about your table – why don’t I find things as awesome as that at thrift stores?? The makeover rocks – love that color of Chalk Paint!

28. March 31, 2013 / 1:52 PM

Hi! A friend just gave me two spindles that are hand turned antiques. They could be twins to your table legs. I think you have more of a gem than you might have thought! The end result is lovely. And… I love the plant:)

I’ve only recently found you, but I’m going to be unsubbing from email. I wanted to know I’m moving to Blog Lovin’. I know you probably don’t care, but I didn’t want you to feel someone didn’t love you and your great work anymore. That would be [insert deep voice] WRONG.
    Thanks!

29. March 31, 2013 / 4:57 PM

Lindsey you have really inspired me with both projects. I have seen a table similar at my local GW. Of course it’s gone now but any style will work. Can’t wait to do the plywood art piece. Possibilities are endless! Love it!

30. March 31, 2013 / 9:21 PM

That is gorgeous!! Both the table and the map! I started painting my kitchen cabinets with ASCP in Duck Egg, and then decided the waxing was WAY too much work for a whole kitchen. A table is MUCH more do-able. Ha! 🙂 Love the wood top and painted legs combo.

31. April 1, 2013 / 6:49 PM

Great project. It looks good.

What are your floors made out of? It almost looks like cork in the picture.

32. April 2, 2013 / 2:25 AM

That table is to die for! NO WAY you could have left without that one! You transformed it perfectly…so glad you left the beautiful wood top. Love your map art also!

33. April 2, 2013 / 4:45 AM

First of all, SO good to see you on Saturday, even if I did look scarier than anyone should. Secondly, that table is beyond beautiful. LOVE the paint, love the top, love it all! You should be proud! Finally, I’m STILL in love with your U.S. mappy sign thing and I’m mad at myself for not buying it. Oh, and finally, finally, I MUST get my hands on that magical paint. The awesome dude who bought the old crocuet set and the giant frame, we had a grand conversation all about Annie Sloan paint and how he did his entire bedroom set with one little pint of paint. MAGIC!

34. April 2, 2013 / 4:46 AM

35. April 2, 2013 / 3:22 PM

Oh, husbands…no sense of potential. Sigh. 🙂 Well you showed him, cause that table looks AWESOME! Very nice!! It makes me want to try chalk paint now! And that plant is beautiful! So is the pot it’s in. Basically: may I move in? 🙂

36. April 5, 2013 / 9:28 PM

I absolutely adore your very own before and after — and for keeping it real. And I laughed out loud that YOU of all people forgot to take a BEFORE!!!!!

I picked up some Annie Sloan a few months ago but hurt my tendon (okay, torn the tendon in my finger) so my DIY has been limited to easy “unstressful” projects. Now I can wait to crack open that can. And I need to remember to take a BEFORE shot too!!!

🙂 Linda