Perc me up!

Perc me up!

Don’t be deceived by Better After reader Leatha’s old kitchen. It wasn’t outdated at all. No, it was actually postdated. It was so far ahead of the trends that it knew that Emerald Green would be the 2013 Color of the Year, like twenty years ago.  This was finally it’s moment to shine!

But by then Leatha had had enough. Enough! Out went the green formica and the wallpaper made from retired clown pants, and in came a whole new look.

She added so much detail and character in here.  The pantry door is a showstopper, and don’t you love the thick new moulding on top of the cabinets?  Also, how appropriate that the new colors are espresso and cream, because she’s got a little ‘coffee’ theme happening in here too.  The cabinets were solid maple, so they simply painted them, which is a fine example of brown-painted cabinets done right!  That’s hard to pull off … believe me.

One last thing.  For her island, she decided on a black walnut top.  It arrived looking like something that had just been pulled off of a barn.  That’s normal, don’t worry. (I would have been worried, and likely in tears.) But in the end it polished up to a shine!  All in all, the grand total came to around $3,000.  Thanks for sharing Leatha!

Subscribe Contact Pinterest Twitter Instagram Facebook

1. January 23, 2013 / 3:35 PM

I miss you. I need to laugh all night.

2. January 23, 2013 / 4:00 PM

That is an amazing transformation!! Love it all. A personal preference of mine would have been to change the path of the door swing so that instead of all the doors to open the same direction they opened opposite for the ones that are next to each other.

3. January 23, 2013 / 4:09 PM

This is gorgeous, so updated! I love the molding and the pantry door especially!

4. January 23, 2013 / 4:19 PM

Where did you get the hardware for the pantry door? It’s gorgeous! This would actually work with my steampunk kitchen – I’d really love to know – thanks. 😉

5. January 23, 2013 / 4:38 PM

I think I’d rather wear clown pants forever than ever take down wallpaper again. I had a contractor tell me they don’t bother taking down wallpaper, they take down the walls and put up new ones because it’s easier. 🙂 New kitchen looks great!

6. January 23, 2013 / 5:21 PM

If I hadn’t seen it with my own eyes, I may not have believed. This is an example of those people that buy a house and say, “the kitchen is so out-dated that we have to gut it” . . .No, No, No, No, No . . . paint, stain and resurface. This is an awesome re-do. I love how they trimmed out the cupboards with molding and brought two of the sections up to a higher height.
    AMAZING!!!
    Thank you for sharing.
    Your blogging sister, Connie

7. January 23, 2013 / 5:30 PM

One of my favorite kitchen re-dos ever!

8. January 23, 2013 / 6:01 PM

THis is my point about the emerald green. This was already done about 20 years ago. It seems like we are slipping backward. I hated it back then and still can’t deal with that color in my home. 🙂

9. Anonymous
    January 23, 2013 / 11:13 PM

Walnut is one of the most beautiful woods out there…and almost impossible to find. I LOVE it when someone finds it and restores it to its natural beauty….kudos!! If I can find ANYTHING in walnut, regardless of condition, I am taking it home. Some of my most beautiful pieces are pieces of walnut furniture restored!!!

10. Anonymous
    January 24, 2013 / 1:39 AM

The decorate hinges/hardware were purchased at House of Antique Hardware.com and the “doorknob” was purchased at Hobby Lobby for $2.50! Thanks for the wonderful comments.

11. Anonymous
    January 24, 2013 / 3:57 AM

This is my favorite kind of remodel! Thanks for sharing.

12. January 25, 2013 / 5:37 PM

What color of brown did she paint her cabinets?! I HAVE TO KNOW! They look beautiful.

13. Anonymous
    January 26, 2013 / 4:11 PM

The color of the cabinets is called “Turkish Coffee”. It is a special mix by Sherwin Williams. Thanks for the nice comments.

14. January 26, 2013 / 11:21 PM

You crack me up!

You’re my go-to girl for inspiration and motivation. Thanks.

15. Diana
    August 19, 2014 / 12:04 PM

What brand of paint did you use for the cabinets and what is the color? It turned out beautiful!!!

16. October 20, 2015 / 4:45 PM

Can you please tell me what color you painted the cabinets and what brand? I absolutely love it!!!