World’s Longest Yard-sale Road Trip!

Well hello there.  I hope you had a great weekend.  Additionally, I hope you are going to have a great week, because I know I will!

Here’s why: GMC and OnStar have invited me and a few other bloggers on a road trip through The World’s Longest Yard-Sale! I am so excited I almost can’t breathe.  This is pretty much the biggest thing that’s ever happened to me as a blogger.

My partner for this journey is none other than Brooke from All Things Thrifty!  (I was secretly worried that I would get paired up with some weirdo with whom I had nothing in common, so this was a BIG relief!)

Plus, we will be riding in style because they are hooking us up with brand new Yukon Denalis to borrow as we travel from Michigan all the waaaaay to Alabama hunting for treasures.

When we get to Alabama, we will use our treasures to fix up a Habitat for Humanity home that will be given to a single mom and her two kids!  That is the coolest part of all.  And it’s happening on Sunday.  As in, seven days from now!

I’m swinging between being totally psyched and really freaked out.

I can’t wait to see the South!
Am I going to die from humidity?

I’ve wanted to go to The World’s Longest Yard-sale for as long as I can remember!
What if I can’t find anything good and I’m a total failure?

We get to drive brand new awesome Yukons!
What if I crash the brand new Yukon?

Such a cool opportunity to work with Habitat for Humanity!
What if I lose my mind and start stapling hay to the walls ala ‘Trading Spaces’ or something?

Anyway.
I really am SO excited, especially to meet the other DIY bloggers coming along on this escapade:

Brittany from Pretty Handy Girl
Donna from Funky Junk Interiors
Traci and Cy from Beneath My Heart.

Not a bad crew, eh?

I plan to post updates as well as I can, so be sure to follow along on Twitter and Facebook too.  (I’m the worst twitterer in the world, but I’ll try my best).

Have you ever been to The World’s Longest Yard-sale?  What should I
wear? Where should we eat?  Are you going to be there too?  I would love
to meet you!

Subscribe Contact Pinterest Twitter Instagram Facebook
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Comments

1. That sounds like a blast! Can’t wait to see what treasures you find! Have a great time!!

2. How fun! Can’t wait to follow your trip! And, as usual, you make me laugh out loud. Your reference to T.S. hay on the walls episode! THAT is the last episode I think I ever watched of that program. Craziness!!

3. Anonymous says:

Yes you will die from the humidity, don’t wear make up it’ll just melt off.

4. This is seriously the coolest promo I have seen in a looong time! :) I hope you all have a blast! :) I have never been…but live in TN…it WILL BE humid!!

5. Awesome!! You are so lucky! I went to the WLYS last year. I wrote a little three part post on it with a few tips and observations. You can check them out if you like:

I so wish I was going this year but I have a wee babe that has foiled my plans. ;) I hope to go next year though! Have fun!

6. Congratulations Lindsey! What a fantastic opportunity. You are going to have a great time and I think as soon as you get on the road with other smart, inspiring, competent women your fears will go out the Yukon’s window! Enjoy, you deserve this opportunity!

7. NO WAY!! I am insanely jealous! You and Brooke are going to have SO much fun. I’ve heard great things about her, and of course you are the bomb so how fun for you girls! I’ve always wanted to get involved with Habitat for Humanity. What a great cause to be working with them on. Have a GREAT time!!
    xo,
    Jilly

8. OH MY HECK! This is the coolest thing ever! And I LOVE ATT! I can’t wait to see yours & Brooke’s adventure. I’m not gonna lie, I’m totes jelly! HAVE FUN AND BE SAFE!!!

9. Wow. Wow. and WOW AGAIN.
    This is beyond extremely cool.
    Bring cash baby!!

You will have a fabulous time.
    OMG. I’m giddy for you guys.
    SO COOL!
    xo jeanne.
    bees knees bungalow.

10. You should definitely wear parachute pants a la MC Hammer. You’ll be the star of the trip if you do, no one will be able to take their eyes off of you. And if you find yourself going nuts and stapling hay, my advice is create a “safety word” in advance with the other bloggers, so they can yell it and bring you to your senses. Maybe “Foliage!” or “Wunderbar!” (I’ve always found those words effective)

11. This will be good, very good.

You’ll need to drink lots of water, and staple very, very slowly.

12. That is AMAZING!! Have a blast!

13. Yep, y’all are fixing to melt like a popsicle on the sidewalk. Reckon y’all will be loading up on the sweet tea as head yonder down the road. ;-D

Seriously tho, it will be hot and humid so stay hydrated. Hats with a brim are really nice to have as you wander thru the various sales. It’s not a bad idea to have a small thermos with ice water and a washcloth to wipe your face every so often. Very refreshing. The comment about the make-up… SO true!

Have fun! I’m over near Nashville so I’ll be sitting this one out!

14. I live in Arkansas. It is 108 here today. A storm is brewing and it is HUMID. Pull your hair up in a pony tail, no make up, only a touch of lip gloss, cropped pants, sleeveless top, water, sunglasses and money. Never been to the world’s Longest Yard Sale, but here in Arkansas on August 9-11 there will be a “Bargains Galore on 64″ yard sale that runs from Ft. Smith to Beebe. 160 miles of flea markets, yard sales, antiques, junktiques and all sorts of goodies. Planning on hitting that one. This sounds like so much fun. Looking forward to seeing all the goodies you find.

15. OMG I’m so jealous! What a fun opportunity! Can’t wait to see what you get!!!

16. Anonymous says:

How exciting!! In Tennessee, you should stop in Nashville and eat at Arnold’s. It’s a tiny hole in the wall place that has awesome soul food. And then, if you make it to Huntsville, Alabama, keep driving south, about 30 more minutes on I-65 and drive into Decatur. Then go eat at Big Bob Gibson’s BBQ. Order a loaded baked potato, Sweet Tea, and a slice of ANY pie they have. You will be extra happy you did. Happy Travels!!
    -Laura

17. Anonymous says:

Oh, and also, I’m with the other Anonymous up there ^^^–I wouldn’t wear makeup either. And don’t bother fixing your hair, because it is SO humid here. Just bring a baseball hat and some shorts haha!
    -Laura

18. You want Scrunches for your hair….somethings so up and off your neck during the day…makeup,I don’t think you are a girl who can skip it…Go to a makeup counter and find some of the really good stuff that breaths…like Clinique,or some of smash box is good…hate to say a cotton or breathable bra, your layers close the skin you want breath non sticky…I have been in Minnesota in August it is sticky….hot…so think the hottest day in Michigan and dress that way…Can I say envy ….the whole group are flat out fun….you’ll have to tell us what tunes you listen too…If you ever hit Austin Tx. go to Threadgills…the homecooking is so good….

19. Lucky!!! That sounds like an awesome opportunity!

You won’t die from the humidity. Everyone always says, “It’s not the humidity, it’s the heat.” I’m pretty sure that’s what they say, anyway.

20. The heat and the humidity will be horrible, just horrible….. I have never understood why they do not have this event in the fall or the spring…. sort of like our homeowner’s association, in AZ having our one and only yard sale in May…. What are these people thinking? Despite it all, I have been about three times, when visiting my bestest friend in Murfreesboro TN. We would head up to Kentucky, I believe… Can’t tell you where to eat… we never took time to eat…always took our own sandwiches……….. Wear anything comfortable…. did ya hear me………. comfortable… forget about looking cute… I am not sure the brand new car is going to be a good thing for trying to deal on the prices of things but it sure will be fun to drive! I suggest taking a sweater and an umbrella…. I know the sweater sounds silly but when it rains… and there should be rain one of the days somewhere, you will be very glad you have those two items… maybe one of those cheap poncho plastic things from the dollar store…………… You will all have a blast ( I think that word just dated me… )oh well, will be 65 years old tomorrow and would so go on this entire drive of a trip. This will be one of those things that will be a wonderful memory for you the rest of your life. You deserve it…. Enjoy! CeCe

21. We went to this several years ago. I packed up the boys and DH and said, this is what we are going to do! I had the mini van and loads of money! I didn’t buy a thing! HOWEVER I am now lots more crafty so I would probably to much better!
    Kids said it was the worst vacation ever!
    But if I went now and with a girlfriend instead of kids I’d have a blast!!!!! I’m so envious of you and you have a great goal to accomplish! Good luck!!

22. How exciting! Congrats, I am sure you guys will have a blast! I’m jealous!

23. Anonymous says:

I used to live in chattanooga Tn. My favorite spots were the neighborhoods on signal mt. Its a nice change from all the “vendors” downtown chattanooga is a must. Try champys famous fried chicken. Forties and fowl! Lots of fun. I believe its on mlk. The north shore (across the Tennessee river) has some really cool “healthier” options too. I personally like to wear my cowboy boots when I go junking :)

24. If you die of humidity can I inherit your blog? I’d say pack a sweater…I hear wool really wicks the moisture away… ;)

25. This comment has been removed by the author.

26. ….actually I think u guys need me on this trip…with the risk of heat stroke, car crashes, not to mention blood clots in ur legs from all the driving, risk of heart attack from all that deep fried butter… u could really use a nurse on board!

27. SOO excited for you and hope we may see you out there.! My Mom, sisters, and I are on our way on Wed. We will be driving from Alabama up to Ohio and then working our way down. CAN’T WAIT!

28. I have never heard of this but it sounds AMAZING!!! You are SO lucky!!!! Have fun and you’ll probably pick the coolest stuff.
    The South isn’t that bad…I mean you do live in AZ!

29. WOW…that is sooooo exciting….I’m pea green with envy! Have a fabulous time! Can’t wait to read about your experience.

30. Porkchop and I so desperately wanted to go to this, but stupid WORK always gets in the way! I need your job! lol! Hope you girls have fun… and make sure that Denali has a hitch on it so you can rent a uHaul trailer. You will find lots of goodies and the roof can only hold so much. :)

31. OMG!!!! I never heard of this!!! You guys are so lucky (and so worthy)!!!! I CAN’T WAIT TO SEE YOUR BLOGS!!!!

And, re the South: Well, from where I sit in the undeep south (NC), you will completely melt: here’s my trick to survive. DO NOT BE AFRAID, as in do not just stay in air conditioning all the time. You MUST become acclimated. It’ll be fine. Cross my heart (and Bless Your Heart :) tee hee).

32. YOU’RE excited!!!? I’m going to drive up (about 60 miles from me) and FIND you!! Oh wait. I hope that didn’t sound like a stalker! I mean that I would LOVE to meet you! I read your blog every day.

Vicki

33. Anonymous says:

So awesome! I live in Alabama and just found out the yard sale has been extended to our city. Alexander City. Not sure if you will come that far, but would love to have you. I am a baseball mom and out in the heat a good bit. Nike shorts, a t-shirt, sports bra, flip flops and tinted moisturizer work the best. A ball cap just in case you are having a bad hair day. Have fun!

34. Anonymous says:

That is awesome!!!

35. FUN!!! I’m from Arkansas too (like Carla), and I didn’t know about the “Bargains Galore on 64″! That sounds like lots of fun, but WHY do they do these things in AUGUST!? Fall would be oh so much nicer. Anyway… have fun!!!

36. Hey! I’m in Michigan, would love to meet you!!!

37. oh wow!! I’ve never been but think it sounds pretty awesome :) Since your going to be in the South and it is EXTREMELY humid in these parts, I can only recommend comfy clothing and hair in a ponytail!!

38. Yeah! Can’t wait to meet you. And if you do start stapling hay onto the walls I’ll yell, “Hold Your Horses!” LOL!

39. Just waiting for my turn…. Lol. Have fun!!

Serena
    Thrift Diving

40. I’m pretty sure this is going to say I am Blake but I didn’t want to take the time to sign him out so this is really Nelly. That being said: Um awesome! Have fun!

41. Anonymous says:

it’s not the heat, it’s the humidity! yes, you will die.. It’s awful down here!
    LOL!
    Have fun though..

42. IF ONLY we live closer we’d totally go. We love antique shopping. You must watch storage wars and storage hunters etc. right??

43. I just updated my web address and thought I’d give you the new one since you said you wanted to come back to it:
    Myfourlittlebirds.blogspot.com
    Hope you had an awesome time!!