Aged to Perfection

Aged to Perfection

Well, shark farts.  My computer keeps crashing today, and it’s really giving me anxiety.  Nothing twists my stomach up more than stupid computer issues, other than losing my kids in public, which truly is the worst.  It sends my stomach from ‘normal’ to ‘diarrhea zone’ in about three seconds flat.  Was that too much information?  Sorry.  So I’ll try to make this one quick before my computer dies for the thirtieth time today.

Vintage furniture makeovers!  First from Erika at Rose Colored Glasses, who turned this worn out old vanity into a cute little window seat with a monogrammed pillow.  Now all she needs is the window!

And Karen at Restyled Vintage quickly pounced on this buffet when she saw it for sale, especially since there were two other women making eyes at it.  Luckily one of their husbands insisted he HATED it (!), so Karen was free to haul it home.

She used a blue mistint and Antique White paint, then did a heavy waxing job for an aged finish.  I think it’s so funny that we make our antiques look more antiqued.  Someday our grandkids will be doing this (or undoing this) to our furniture. It’s the circle of liiiiiiife!

1. June 21, 2012 / 9:43 PM

These are both amazing! I can even make the first one because my mother had that very same dresser.

2. June 21, 2012 / 10:15 PM

This comment has been removed by the author.

3. June 21, 2012 / 10:16 PM

Oi Lindsay! Ficaram lindos! Obrigada por compartilhar! Abraços!!!

4. June 21, 2012 / 10:16 PM

Love!!! Ok, so when people are using wax to age something, what product is it exactly??

5. June 21, 2012 / 10:35 PM

Both SO Lovely! In spite of you discussing both farts and diarrhea in your post…

6. June 21, 2012 / 11:09 PM

Awesome! LOVE the first one especially but both are great!

7. June 21, 2012 / 11:42 PM

Woohoo, thanks for the feature, Lindsay! To answer Rene’s comment, I use Liberon Black Bison Wax in clear and dark oak. I purchased it in New Zealand but it appears to be available worldwide online…hope that helps 🙂

xx Karen

8. Nicole
    June 22, 2012 / 1:16 AM

Lol,”shark farts.”

9. June 22, 2012 / 2:27 AM

the first one…this style must have been around…and around,I did a similar one,the body and exact.But did have a mirror base that had 7 yrs bad luck..I had a mirror with no frame..so put together…love what she did and the second …o yeah really love.Hubby doesn’t want and in some cases me too any of our inherited pieces painted but what I pick up ….paint to the rescue.

10. June 22, 2012 / 4:32 AM

LOL- Shark Farts is one of the funniest things I’ve never heard until today. I live with a house full of boys, so you bet I’m gonna use that one. Thanks for sharing!

11. June 22, 2012 / 5:53 AM

Thanks Karen! It’s on amazon, but shark farts it’s expensive!!! Errr….I’ll work on that….but I’m guessing the wax goes a long way and lasts awhile 🙂

12. June 22, 2012 / 6:32 AM

You did an amazing job!!!! Just perfect!!!They used to make such a beutifull furniture at that time…

13. June 22, 2012 / 11:01 AM

Ouch, I have to admit, the first redo hurts my heart a little bit. Art deco furniture like that vanity can be hard to find in original form. It could have been turned into a bench without painting it. 🙁

14. June 22, 2012 / 2:27 PM

Love your blog! I have been thinking about doing my old dresses – perhaps in a turquoise blue- great ideas – thanks for sharing!

15. June 23, 2012 / 1:21 AM

Ok, I’m going to be a nasty pasty today. You have been warned! The first one; well, I hope they braced it inside as those things tend to buckle when sat upon. 2nd one; reminds me of the old Kooka stoves sold here in Australia bazillions of years ago.
    That is all, go back to making amazing things, people!

16. June 26, 2012 / 1:01 AM

Your intro made me seriously LOL. I love all of these especially the buffet table! SO beautiful.