Red Head Rad Pad

Red Head Rad Pad
When I labeled Julie’s kitchen submission for my files, I titled it “Rad Dark Country Kitchen.”  That sounds like an oxymoron if I ever heard one, but take a gander at the following pictures, and I’m sure you’ll agree.  (Gander is totally a country word y’all.)
Let’s start on the left-hand side, looking out the windows.  Before: ho hum.  Now: Windwoahs!  The new windows are so fantastic I might be having an imaginary love affair with them.  Would you believe Julie just made them herself with little strips of moulding?!

How did the cabinetry go darker, yet the whole room looks lighter?  It’s country crockery, I say!  Note the rustic-chic touches, like the beam and the copper accents.  Many of the copper cabinet pulls started out as oil-rubbed bronze, and Julie simply sanded them down to reveal copper underneath!  I had no idea you could do that.

I live in Arizona, where the average temperature is too obscene to print, but I have just decided I need a fireplace in my kitchen too.  Julie left hers pretty much as-is (or as-was, I guess I should say), and opened the room up by painting the surrounding cabinetry and paneling white.  I love the contrast of the dark door frame and mantle!  MUCH more to see on her site Red Head Can Decorate.

Pin It

This post sponsored by:

1. March 21, 2012 / 1:38 AM

My kitchen is due for an update and I go back and forth on white or dark – this is a great example of how well dark looks and even some white with it.

~Bliss~

2. March 21, 2012 / 2:53 AM

I just painstakingly created the french windows she got rid of – too funny –
    Wish I had seen this first! Gorgeous!
    Hugs,
    Suzan

3. March 21, 2012 / 9:45 AM

Hello
    Better After
    Thanks for putting up, very good stuff, It is pretty ideal for everyone.
    Thank you!

4. March 21, 2012 / 12:04 PM

it’s soo good

5. March 21, 2012 / 12:07 PM

very good

6. March 21, 2012 / 1:31 PM

This is beautiful! and Lindsey- as usual – you’re a hoot!

7. March 21, 2012 / 4:47 PM

Am I the only one that gets bummed when some of the before pics are better than what I think I could do for an after? 😉

8. March 21, 2012 / 7:34 PM

That bottle chandelier is amazing. I may just take up drinking…

9. March 22, 2012 / 12:42 PM

Thank you for featuring my “Rad Pad” Lindsey! I was @ a stop light when I read that and was cracking up @ that title! So clever you are!

Our kitchen makeover has been an on going project since we moved in 3 years ago-I keep changing my mind (typical). The cabinets took about a week to paint, prob. a couple hours per day. While my husband was in Law school he painted to support our young family. He has taught me everything I know about painting. What a blessing that has been! We originally had everything black, then added in the white to lighten it up. I give a detailed explanation of what I used on my site 🙂

The x’s in the widows are one of may favorite parts, but I am sure your windows, Susan, look beautiful as well!

The chandelier is from Pottery Barn. I pd $399 I believe. BUT! The light bulbs no matter what I used gave out too much glare. We finally cut a black drum shade and placed it on the main stem hanging it there (not easy). Then we found some light diffuser material at Home Depot and cut a circle and stuck it in the bottom. Way better now.

Thank you to all of you for all of your kind words! Makes my heart very happy:) Love, Julie

10. Anonymous
    March 22, 2012 / 2:45 PM

That new kitchen is GORGEOUS. Wow. Well done. Bravo.

11. May 2, 2012 / 1:41 PM

This kitchen looks gorgeous now, especially the windows! It would be refreshing to peek at those trees every day. 🙂 Another thing that caught my attention is your fireplace inside your kitchen – it’s unusual, but it’s lovely all the same.