Expired Ketchup

Expired Ketchup
I can see that there was an attempt to update this kitchen in the past.  The counters were nice, the cabinets had received a distressed paint job at some point and the backslash was newish.  However, the only explanation I have for the adjoining dining room is this: ketchup-fight.
Luckily J. has a condition known as Design OCD and wasn’t happy until the whole things was gutted and streamlined and gorgeous. And now I reeeeeeally want to paint all my window frames black.

Pin It

This post sponsored by:

1. March 27, 2012 / 10:04 PM

Oh. My. Goodness. That dining room was…bad. It looks a million times better now!

P.S. LOVE your blog, I stop by everyday, and your commentary cracks me up!

2. March 27, 2012 / 10:23 PM

oh my. That ketchup paint was horrendous! Someone did that on purpose??

3. March 28, 2012 / 12:50 AM

Geez, now I’ll have nightmares about that fugly dining room!

4. March 28, 2012 / 3:42 AM

Totally gasped out loud when I saw the ketchup kitchen. HORRID! Love the ‘After’!

5. March 28, 2012 / 4:03 AM

great job!!! cannot beat black windows – so happy I painted mine black
    hugs,
    Suzan

6. March 28, 2012 / 12:01 PM

Thanks for featuring my kitchen. LOL. “expired ketchup” I never thought about it like that but I guess I can’t disagree! That’s funny. I still maintain it looked better in person. (I know, I know!)

Jillian, the counters are granite (kashmir white).

7. March 28, 2012 / 3:30 PM

I was having trouble imagining what the ketchup fight look might be, but, WOW, what an accurate, hilarious description! I wanted to paint our windows black during our kitchen remodel but ran out of time. I think they’re fabulous and I’m adding that to this summer’s list! But, I’m thinking about going with grey now instead.

8. March 28, 2012 / 7:33 PM

That dining room really did look like someone actually smeared ketchup on those walls. Yikes. The after is soooooo much better.

9. March 29, 2012 / 1:00 PM

We lived in a ’50’s house with all the windowsills painted black,(Hollywood Glam Look) and it’s true that once you go black, you never go back – not because we loved them, but because it was impossible to cover that paint up – it had to be removed with paint stripper (lots of fun inside a house).

Make sure it’s what you want before you do it.

10. March 30, 2012 / 4:01 AM

That may be the strangest “before” paint job I’ve ever seen. And that’s saying something, because I used to work in theatre and paint over other artist’s scenic paint all the time. I am seriously impressed…
    with the after picture, of course 🙂

11. March 30, 2012 / 2:07 PM

That room looks like a crime scene! Why would anyone purposely do that (and then keep it)??? Great fix 🙂