Do the Stumpty Stump!

Do the Stumpty Stump!
You might look at this before picture and see a plain ol’ stump.  But you are wrong!  No, you are right, it’s a stump, there’s no fooling you! But strip away those mangy layers of bark, and sand and lacquer it until it’s smooth as butta’, and you know what you’ve got?  You’ve got yourself a chic little stump table, that’s what, AND also about $187 more bucks in your pocket plus shipping, had you been planning to buy the West Elm version.  (Seriously West Elm?!  $200!?)
I’m totally making one of these. From Francesca at Restyle Restore Rejoice.

Pin It

1. Anonymous
    February 16, 2012 / 3:14 PM

I guess my family has always been trendy if they’re selling these at West Elm now. Lol. My dad has been making these since forever. We even have one with a green upholstered top that’s hollowed out inside for storage that my uncle made before I was born. I think this kind of thing just happens when you live around nature. Great job to the DIYer. Looks way better than West Elm’s.

2. February 16, 2012 / 4:54 PM

I would have to put a sign on it that said “TABLE” or my husband would automatically chop it into kindling. He’s very handy with an axe.

3. February 16, 2012 / 5:10 PM

But how do I just *find* one of these in the middle of Berlin?

4. February 16, 2012 / 5:59 PM

Oh, Fiona! Would it do to contact a tree trimmer on the outskirts of the city?

How does West Elm get away with that? Surely they haven’t sold more than a trees-worth of these things! At least, I HOPE not!

Really cool DIY! It DOES look better than the West Elm one. Congratulations on this. I really like it!

5. February 16, 2012 / 6:42 PM

Love!!!

6. February 16, 2012 / 7:36 PM

I have been just dying to make one of these. Especially since I live on 5 acres of trees! Great job. Heading over to get the details now!

7. February 16, 2012 / 9:47 PM

I think the diy is far superior to the West Elm!!!!!!!!!!
    Have to go find a tree stump now,lol
    I live smack in the heart of the city, won’t be so easy.

8. February 16, 2012 / 10:52 PM

DIY one is 100% more attractive than the expensive one!

9. February 23, 2012 / 1:55 AM

I just had a very large pine removed, and they left all the stumps. Is pine as option for this? How long would one need to let it sit before using it (it’s still bleeding sap). Does it have to cure? I hate to let all that good wood go to waste.