He’s no Jackson Pollock

He’s no Jackson Pollock
Um, yay for letting your teenager be … expressive?  Congrats on unleashing his … creativity?  He seems really … imaginative!  Ok, let’s cut the crap, it looks like a crime scene in here.   This was what Julia inherited from the previous owners, who either had a troubled teen or enjoyed tar fights.  There was no way she was subjecting her guests to this mess until she got it fixed up, and thankfully, she did!  It’s beautiful!
I have to admit, I miss the splatters and stains just a little bit. (That is a total lie).
See more on her blog Chris Loves Julia.

1. December 16, 2011 / 9:56 PM

That’s just beautiful! She’s done wonders with it. Boy, some crazed person really went to town on that well didn’t they… :/

2. December 16, 2011 / 10:26 PM

Beautiful!

Hey…I kind of liked the splatters!!! (But…I am a crazy 12 year old girl…LOL!)

3. December 16, 2011 / 11:54 PM

I LOVE LOVE LOVE the after!

4. December 17, 2011 / 1:30 AM

Parents! Never let your teenage boy do the decorating! Remember that one House Hunters episode with the black paint and crazy tagging all over the walls?

That should never happen! Stifle your teenagers until they’ve grown some sense!

5. December 17, 2011 / 5:32 AM

Beautiful. What a difference! I’d love to have that bedroom!

6. December 17, 2011 / 6:19 AM

I don’t like the look of the before, but I can’t help think that it would be a lot of fun to paint the walls like that. I am sure that I would look just as splattered as the walls!
    I love the relaxing feeling of the after photos. Job well done!

7. December 17, 2011 / 5:08 PM

Great Job! With rooms like this, it’s not as simple as painting over it. The splatters were probably thick and raised. This room probably required a lot of sanding.

8. December 17, 2011 / 11:30 PM

Katherine,

It did require A LOT of sanding. Yes, parents, NEVER let your kids do this. Hahaha. We ended up having to Sand the walls. Prime them. Re-texture, prime and then paint. It was quite the process, but we are so happy with the results and THRILLED with the positive response for you all. Thanks so much!

-Julia
    Chris Loves Julia

9. December 18, 2011 / 7:35 PM

Looks great! My brother got creative with his room and we probably needed to re-drywall after, it was so hard to cover up his artistry. Oy.

10. December 18, 2011 / 9:22 PM

This is an amazing transformation. Love the artwork above the bed — is that from Etsy? Julia, Do you mind sharing where it came from? Thanks!

11. December 18, 2011 / 10:38 PM

So pretty! I LOVE the pillows on the bed!

12. December 19, 2011 / 9:52 PM

I think whoever she bought her house from must have lived in my house before that as my basement walls were all covered in blue splatter paint just like that. Creepy. 😉 She did a lovely job and if I didn’t still have the crappy old fieldstone walls in my basement repainted white I might brave sending in a picture myself. 😉

13. February 8, 2012 / 5:01 PM

While I am a fan of art and don’t mind a good Pollock, an entire room is a bit much. If your teenager wants to paint his room black and cover it in graffiti or pull a 360°like Pollock knock off, here’s an idea: get thin sheets of melamine and let them go to town on those. Then, when they’ve grown up, or at least moved on, you can take the melamine down and have “normal” walls again.