Flair for Your Chair

Flair for Your Chair

Curls and swirls!  Here is a cute little chair redo from Suzy at Joy is at Home.  My grandma used to have a vanity seat just like this, covered with a little red velvet cushion and I thought it was surely the fanciest thing that ever existed.  I doubt I would have thought that if it sported a crusty Coke-themed cushion instead.

And this rigid Queen-Anne chair from Sarah was a little too fancy, or whatever word you would use to describe that ornate woodwork and intensely floral fabric.  I feel like it is glaring at me.  Sarah lightened it up with a playful print and distressed the frame.  I love how the whole personality of it has changed. Check it out on her blog Three Boys.

And finally Hanh made over this plaid and lumpy doofus of a chair into the sleekest, chicest seat on the street.  I’m salivating, truly.  She also redid the cushion, but I kind of like the simplicity of it just like this.  And I would sell my soul for some of that quatrefoil fabric.  OK, maybe not. But I would fight you for it if there was only one bolt left in the fabric store.  OK, probably not.  I’m non-confrontational like that.  But I sure like it!

1. July 9, 2011 / 2:12 PM

Always impressed with chair re-do’s actually I think they might be my favorite since they are usually so drastic. What was up with the floral poop, I mean print in the early 90″s?

2. July 9, 2011 / 6:47 PM

I really NEED to know where she got that yellow quatrefoil fabric! I have a chair in my master bedroom in desperate need of a makeover, and that fabric is the one! Please ask Hanh to share (or share the link to her site!)

3. July 9, 2011 / 7:01 PM

Hi there, it’s Hanh. That fabric sure is perfect. I looked for fabric for that chair for months. I was jumping in joy and giving people hugs when i saw it :D. It’s not widely available for some reasons. I bought it from a store in Charlottesville, VA. But when I was short a yard of it, I was able to order it from here: http://www.decorativefabricsdirect.com/Braemore_EMILIO_LEMON_DROP_Fabric_p/6684012.htm – pricier, but was glad to find it at all. 🙂

Thanks for featuring my chair, Lindsey.

4. July 10, 2011 / 9:10 PM

Love em! I have the perfect chair sitting in our extra bedroom just WAITING for a makeover. $5 estate sale deal woohoo! Now I just have to learn how to reupholster 🙂

5. Anonymous
    July 30, 2012 / 10:06 PM

So this is a LONG shot…but Vue the explorer (HAHN), if by chance you see this…what did you use to paint the trim black? I love the finish. I love the chair and have some similar i am looking to redo in black trim like that.

-Alma

6. January 30, 2013 / 6:22 AM

Alma, if by chance you see this, ha!, I just used glossy spray paint, and glossy clear protective spray finish as well. I would recommend the Rustoleum Enamel Spray paint in black. It’s oil based, very durable so much so that you wont need the protect coat! less work! I didn’t use it for this particular chair but have used it in other projects. I’d go with it if i were to do this all over again.