Squid Vicious

Squid Vicious

Better After reader Shandy sent me a dresser makeover with the following note: I acquired the dresser for $50 on Craigslist. Some paint, stain, poly, antique glaze and lots of elbow grease later, I had a cute dresser with a squid on it.

Shandy, I think we could be friends. Anyone who paints a squid on a dresser and names him Paul is better than OK in my book. And how about that fabulous blue knob serving as an eyeball? HA! I love this and must find a reason to paint a squid somewhere.

1. April 18, 2011 / 11:54 PM

I have no idea why I love this so much, but I really, REALLY do!

The design planning, which might appear so simple at first, really required a great deal of thought in order to use the different handles. She wouldn’t be able to repaint and start over since it’s the original finish that makes up the sea creature.

2. April 19, 2011 / 12:06 AM

Haha this is so bizarre…extra points for creativity! 🙂

3. April 19, 2011 / 12:39 AM

ok so when I read your post about it, I was thinking squid….on a dresser….ooookkkkk.

Now I’m like squid on a dresser…Awesome! I really love this!

4. April 19, 2011 / 12:49 AM

this look amazing! and I don’t think she actually painted the squid it looks like it was outlined and then stained.. either way.. A MAY ZING!

5. April 19, 2011 / 1:06 AM

I think my grandson would actually put his clothes away if he had a squid dresser.

6. April 19, 2011 / 1:35 AM

I think it’s awesome! What a talented person you are!! It’s really cool!

7. April 19, 2011 / 1:44 AM

i agree– that’s some crazy talent there! and Patience!!

8. April 19, 2011 / 2:04 AM

I really like this and can’t help but wonder where in the house it sits.

9. April 19, 2011 / 4:12 AM

Thanks for posting my dresser, Lindsey! We can totally be friends. 🙂

And another huge thanks to the people who commented.

In answer to some comments:
    1. It sits in my bedroom. Even tho’ I live in a landlocked area (Atlanta), I’m obsessed with the ocean so, as odd as it seems, it kinda fits in.

2. First I sanded everything, then I taped out “Paul”. After that, I painted the dresser. When I removed the tape, I “filled in” the wood-grain squid shape with stain using a smaller artist’s paintbrush.

10. April 19, 2011 / 7:43 AM

This squid is VISCIOUS!!! I love it! So creative and crafy!

I’m bummed I live in a smaller area…craigslist deals are few and far in between to find!

11. April 19, 2011 / 12:32 PM

I love this. I have no idea why and would have been sure I would not – but I do.

12. April 19, 2011 / 1:53 PM

I was thinking “Why a squid?” but then “why not?” LOL

13. April 19, 2011 / 2:12 PM

Really nice design – I like the way the squid was done and how the piece retains some of the original wood grain instead of painting it all.

14. April 19, 2011 / 4:08 PM

Brilliant. Weird.

15. April 19, 2011 / 10:28 PM

I love that dresser more than any one person should.

16. April 20, 2011 / 6:23 PM

Hey, Shandy! This IS so cute and it’s a fantastic homage to your love of the ocean. I love how you’ve taken advantage of the missing knobs and put included a star-shaped pull.

BTW, wasn’t ‘Paul’ the name of that German octopus who was always right on the winner of many elections?

Thanks for sharing and please keep on creating!

17. April 21, 2011 / 11:54 AM

Thisd is one of the coolest redo’s I have ever seen.

18. April 22, 2011 / 6:47 AM

I’m sorry, but I can’t NOT say something! That cephaloph on the dresser is an octopus, not a squid! Whew, okay. I feel so much better now. Now I want to make one!

19. April 22, 2011 / 10:55 PM

Love the detail of the squid ‘eye’…
    Good job!

20. April 22, 2011 / 10:56 PM

@Tirzha
    It is an octopus! But squid sounds better…

21. April 25, 2011 / 5:56 PM

Heh. “Squid” has a certain ring to it that can’t be denied.

22. September 12, 2011 / 6:08 PM

Hey there…so tickled you found my reverse stencil dresser (originally posted at FLOR) over at John and Sherry’s Babycenter Momformation site. Why tickled, you say? Because back when I had the idea in my head to do the dresser…and had already committed to purchasing the decal and everything…I was looking for more reverse stencil inspiration on Pinterest and found YOUR dresser. I wrote about some of my reverse stencil findings here: http://www.flor.com/blog/design-challenge-reverse-stenciling/

23. January 22, 2012 / 11:43 AM

I love, love, love this idea and would like to do something similar in fabric or paint on bedroom curtains for a boy. Would you mind sharing where you found the image or did you freehand it?
    Thanks!

24. January 22, 2012 / 11:44 AM

I love, love, love this idea and would like to do something similar in fabric or paint on curtains for a boys bedroom. Would you mind sharing where you found the image or did you freehand it?