Cookie Cut

Cookie Cut

What I love most about Nikki’s kitchen makeover is that it really shows how much you can customize a builder-basic tract home. We both live in Arizona, the state that invented cookie-cutter homes. Our state color is beige. Our state flag doesn’t exist because the HOA ruled against flags. Our state motto is “Mi Casa es Su Casa (because we can’t tell whose is whose).”

But Nikki really managed to break out of the same-ol’ same-ol’ mold, not just with her kitchen, but her entire home. Every last detail looks custom-made. The whole shamdangle is simply fantastic, and it inspires the heck out of me! There’s a lot more to see on her blog Grand Design, do check it out!

This post has been brought to you by Krrb.com!

1. March 24, 2011 / 3:53 PM

I seriously look at your blog every day, I love all the before and afters. It never gets boring! Thanks for featuring my kitchen!

2. March 24, 2011 / 4:17 PM

Beautiful! I LOVE the ladder!

3. March 24, 2011 / 4:18 PM

As a 5th generation Arizonan I am weeping at your description of our beloved state. Did I mention they are tears of laughter?

Beeyooteefull kitchen. (That’s how we spell it in AZ)

4. March 24, 2011 / 4:50 PM

Now I understand the state motto!!
    What an inspiring transformation. I live in a cookie cut-out, and I feel that it is boxing me in–every day! Working to spread out.

5. March 24, 2011 / 5:14 PM

Pure Awesome-ness! And… I love that the appliances aren’t stainless. Not that I have anything against stainless – it’s just nice to see a standout kitchen without stainless. 🙂

6. March 24, 2011 / 5:24 PM

it’s gorgeous! I love that she didn’t spend tons of money, just worked w/what was there, but a total transformation.

Arizona jokes – hilarious!

7. March 24, 2011 / 5:42 PM

That is ALL KINDS of awesome! Love the ladder hanging from the cieling. Sigh. I love clever people that make beautiful homes.

8. March 24, 2011 / 5:42 PM

9. March 24, 2011 / 5:42 PM

10. March 24, 2011 / 8:39 PM

Very nicely done and definitely not “cookie cutter” anymore.

11. March 24, 2011 / 8:42 PM

love the befores & afters, but really enjoy your commentary, too!
    beautiful.

12. March 24, 2011 / 10:39 PM

This is the best description yet that you have ever written! Crackin me up. I am going to go check out her kitchen, she did a beautiful job that is for sure.

13. March 24, 2011 / 10:51 PM

Too busy laughing at your AZ joke to see the makeover.

Oh, wait, that’s a nice after!

🙂

14. March 25, 2011 / 2:12 AM

You are hilarious.

15. March 25, 2011 / 3:11 AM

That whole first paragraph had me laughing! After my husband and I had been in our new home for about a year I woke up late one night to feverish banging on the front door. It was my husband, but he had been doing the same thing next door for 20 minutes wondering why I hadn’t opened the door for him. Sadly, our house was two story and the neighbor, who thankfully wasn’t home, had a single story. But that is how much the houses looked alike.

Love the after shots! Time to take a look around both of your sights!

16. March 25, 2011 / 4:06 AM

so funny! before i read the paragraph I thought “this house is in arizona” then i read the paragraph and it was. it just screamed arizona. (im from az btw) soo funny. kitchen turned out amazing!

17. March 25, 2011 / 2:31 PM

Your commentary cracks me up! I love your blog so much and it’s one of my first stops every morning!

Keep up the good work and I love this kitchen!

18. March 26, 2011 / 1:44 AM

“Our state color is beige. Our state flag doesn’t exist because the HOA ruled against flags. Our state motto is “Mi Casa es Su Casa (because we can’t tell whose is whose).”

Best lines EVAH!

I will be remembering those for ages and laughing each time I do.

As for the kitchen. Are you SURE that’s the same house?

Beautiful and so different, it’s truly amazing.

19. March 29, 2011 / 5:30 AM

Funniest lines on AZ!!! Still laughing!!! LOVE the after!!