XY to XX

XY to XX

Sadly, some people still live in the stone-ages of strictly-enforced gender-assigned toys. I know I got a few funny looks when I told people we were getting our 3-year-old son a play kitchen for Christmas last year. Whatever dudes, he loved it. This year he got an E-Z Bake Oven. Who knows, maybe he’ll grow up to be the next Mario Batali. Hopefully minus the grungy orange Crocs. We encourage open minds, just not that open.

Anyhoo, here are a couple of girly-girl toys that Better After reader Lisa refried for her little boy. How cute is that Edelweiss-inspired playhouse? Answer: really cute. You can see more pics from Lisa right HERE.

1. January 27, 2011 / 3:38 PM

Hold the phone!

Did she actually put mosaic tile on a play kitchen?

I love her!

2. January 27, 2011 / 4:08 PM

I think you meant to say XX(female) to XY(male) at any rate I LOVE what she did, I’m not a fan of pink anything so I think my girls would love a play kitchen like the one she did. Thanks for posting, ideas are swirling now!

3. January 27, 2011 / 4:58 PM

I too buy these for my little man, Evan. For Christmas he got a kitchen. Just last night I purchased 2 Fisher Price cars for him and one was pink!
    This was a great post (lovin the tile!)

Denise
    Extreme Personal Measures

4. January 27, 2011 / 5:33 PM

eeek! I’m so stoked right now. I just passed over several large play toys for my toddler at the thrift store because they were grungy AND girly. (Not that I care about the color as much as the grunge…) But I think I’m going to have to go back and rescue them now- I’ve been inspired.

5. January 27, 2011 / 5:38 PM

Holy cow! I never, EVER thought to paint those play structures like that! They get so grungy, so fast. This one looks brand new again. SO genius.

6. January 27, 2011 / 6:25 PM

What kind of paint did she use on the plastic house???

7. January 27, 2011 / 6:51 PM

They are so cute, even I’d like to play with them!

8. January 27, 2011 / 7:53 PM

Kelly and Gunner,

I was wondering the same thing, so I googled it. It looks like other people have used Krylon Fusion spraypaint for plastic on the same type of project.

9. January 27, 2011 / 8:38 PM

Doh! You are right Steve & Ally! I actually googled that to be sure, but the first link that popped up was about transgenderedness…so yeah, that’s what I went with. Didn’t read it real close, obviously! Ha!

10. January 27, 2011 / 9:28 PM

Love those projects. I wish I would have thought about that for my boys when they were 3. Now at 7 and 5 their into other things. I can however do that for my 2 yr old daughter with those thrift store toys I think don’t look the best. I love the ideas I get from blogging.

11. January 27, 2011 / 9:52 PM

My middle-school aged son LOVED playing kitchen when he was a toddler/preschooler. Now he loves to cook real food for us, especially waffles, pancakes, and French toast. In fact, he made French toast for dinner last night. I just wish I’d had a cute kitchen like Lisa’s instead of a plastic one!

12. January 28, 2011 / 12:15 AM

Awesome!!

13. January 28, 2011 / 9:28 PM

I have this same kitchen for my daughter and I’m pretty sure I”m going to re do it now because I think its to girly.. lol such a great idea!

14. February 6, 2011 / 2:21 PM

Love this and glad to see other parents are breaking beyond the “gender barrier” in the toy aisle.

We have parents who raise boys to believe and behave as if they can only play with trucks – blue ones.

Then we wonder why we end up with legions of men who behave as if their genitals will detach if they so much as touch a stove or a vacuum cleaner.