Childfree Kitchen

Childfree Kitchen
Ms. Childfree Chic emailed me her kitchen with the words, “Can you stand another white kitchen?”

You betcha. I know I feature a lot of white kitchens, but white just happens to be the big trend. Maybe in a few years we’ll all be painting our kitchens purple, but I doubt it. White is trendy yes, but classic and enduring at the same time. I predict it will be popular for a long time!
 I like how she mixed up traditional cabinetry with open glass shelving. It really opens the space up. Maybe someday she could consider knocking out the soffit and extending her cabinets and shelves all the way up, or just leaving them open for even more space. What is the purpose of a soffit anyway? One of life’s mysteries.
 More to see on her blog Childfree Chic!

1. August 10, 2010 / 10:22 PM

Her kitchen before reminds me some of our current kitchen, but not nearly as ugly as ours. We have the white formica, brown cabinets and evil soffits as well. The purpose of a soffit is to make rooms look smaller and uglier. 😉 That’s my theory anyway. Very interesting and unique look with the glass shelves.

2. August 10, 2010 / 10:42 PM

I love the open shelves. I’m trying to convince my husband that we should take down one section of our upper cabinets and put in open shelves. I think I have work on him for a while yet….

3. August 10, 2010 / 11:05 PM

It looks great! I want a kitchen simple as that but I little bigger. Those open shelves looks nice too!

4. August 10, 2010 / 11:08 PM

LOVE this. The open shelves, the countertops, the stainless appliances. The only thing I would do differently is the lighting.

5. August 10, 2010 / 11:30 PM

The open shelves, what a chic surprise. Love it!

6. August 11, 2010 / 12:23 AM

Much, much better now. If only they’d changed the light fixture, too, then it’d be about perfect.

7. August 11, 2010 / 2:11 AM

Well I also have a can you stand another topic. I have done alot of painting and tile but I always left the sawing to my husband. Until now I finally framed my bathroom mirror. Yeah for me! I know you handy girls out there think it’s old news but for me it’s a new skill.I will be using it alot I am going to try my new skill at making a drying rack for my laundry room

8. August 11, 2010 / 3:18 AM

Dang that looks good.

9. August 11, 2010 / 3:48 AM

Not “just another white kitchen” with those glass shelves…bravo!

10. August 11, 2010 / 2:03 PM

The primary purpose of soffits is to conceal ducts, plumbing, or electrical conduit. Mine don’t contain any of those, so I can only assume they were originally constructed for the secondary purpose: to close the dust-catcher gap on top of shorter cabinets like mine.

I briefly thought about tearing out the soffits, but new 42″ cabinets weren’t in my budget. I hate cleaning the tops of cabinets, so I decided to live with soffits until I can afford to expand the kitchen and replace cabinetry. Since those photos were taken I’ve added crown moulding to the kitchen, and it helps dress up the soffits a little bit.

Any future remodel will involve a complete change in the layout plus an extension to the house. But for now, this minor remodel looks much better than the old faux-oak (foak) kitchen! 🙂