Tricks and a Treat

Tricks and a Treat
Here’s a little Halloween trick for ya. You know what else is “better after?” Anyone! After some serious Photoshopping, that is
 Do you despair when you see makeup ads featuring pore-less faces? Or smirk at the Victoria Secret models splayed across the catalogue, like, do they even NEED push-up bras? Ever wonder why Madonna, at age 51, barely looks a hair over 21? Well, she doesn’t.

Seriously, whatever you do, don’t let some pretty image in a magazine get you down, because only about 5% of the images we see in print have any sort of basis in reality. I just made that statistic up. But it’s probably true.

Tyra: not flawless, but still fierce!

Riiiiiiiight.

Jessica Alba is so slender and well-lit in the magical land of Photoshop.
Even the wrinkles on her clothes disappear!

If you want to be on the cover of a magazine, prepare to have half of your arm shaved away. Click for a bigger look.

And no, it’s not just the ladies!
Oh, Justin, don’t be mad at me. You know I love you.

Rowr.
Happy Halloween!

1. October 30, 2009 / 11:10 PM

Looking at this makes me happy, but then it makes me mad!! Very annoying to not be able to trust what you see. Of course, I totally wouldn’t object to being photoshopped. 🙂

2. October 30, 2009 / 11:11 PM

Love these, I really need to show my daughter. I wish I could photoshop myself…In real life! LOL

3. October 30, 2009 / 11:12 PM

No you know what. I DO NOT wish I could photoshop myself. That would be hard to walk around knowing that you don’t look the way others perceive you.

4. October 30, 2009 / 11:14 PM

Thank you Lindsey. You just made my day! It is very discouraging seeing all those photos and thinking how do they do it. How do they possibly do it. I always think lots of money, trainers, spas, facial theraphy, not to mention plastic surgery. I ALWAYS forget to remind myself I am not seeing them. That’s why the public never gets the chance to get to close (makeup is probably pretty thick anyway ~ oh well true or not it makes me feel better). That’s why they’ve always got super dark shades on. But it’s just so hard to walk past those magazines and not think they’re real.

I love this post – Thank you – what a halloween trick that turned into a treat for me.
    Have a fun weekend…Tracy

P.S. Stop by and checkout my new giveaway!

5. October 30, 2009 / 11:40 PM

So crazy how they do that. Jessica Alba looks better with her curves 🙂 That was fun

6. October 30, 2009 / 11:49 PM

Ha! Nice to know they are in costume all year long. On a side note, I get my business picture professionally taken {just twice in 5 years}, because they do my make-up better than I can, but when they offer me what is basically photoshopping, I decline it. I think it would be the worst thing to meet a client and have them not recognize me because my picture made me appear younger or somehow different than I really am.

7. Kyla K
    October 31, 2009 / 4:00 AM

Um, that might be the sexiest picture I’ve ever seen of justin Timberlake. Definitely a TREAT!

8. October 31, 2009 / 5:01 AM

W.O.W. Eye opener. I mean, we all knew about “airbrushing”, but this is one fine (current) example! The Madonna one made me feel (shamefully-) the best.

So great of you to visit my blog, thank you!

9. October 31, 2009 / 6:03 AM

Fun post to read! Sad that what you see isn’t always what you get anymore…

10. October 31, 2009 / 6:19 AM

I love this post! I did a whole experiment on this and the effects on college age women when I was working on my psychology degree. Its NOT right! Although— I would LOVe to be photo-shopped. =)

11. October 31, 2009 / 9:51 AM

This is a great post and I hope young women get a chance to read this post and see some of these before and after. It is so sad that someone would think that they needed to photoshop Alba, and Faith Hill. They look amazing in the before picture already. It’s absurd! I will pass this on to my daughter and her friends.

12. October 31, 2009 / 11:49 AM

What a great post. I understand why they remove blemishes etc. and brighten things up, but shaving off part of an already thin arm is just ridiculus. My 25 year old neice had her grad photos done a couple of years ago and they did so much airbrushing she didn’t even have a crease under her eyes anymore. She’s already young and beautiful, why did they work so hard to take away her features. So sad.

13. October 31, 2009 / 1:23 PM

Yayyy Thank you for this post ~ It made me feel so much better about myself today as I sit here with not a stitch of makeup ~ I just need to walk around through the day after I have been photoshopped !!
    xoxo
    Lori

14. October 31, 2009 / 1:40 PM

This was such an awesome post. I always know that the stars are edited, but it’s still a bit jarring to see the side by side photos. Ha, they really are less than perfect. Thanks! 🙂

15. October 31, 2009 / 5:10 PM

Thanks so much for sharing those pictures. I’m going to go share them with my teenage daughters.

16. Anonymous
    October 31, 2009 / 8:18 PM

The charity ‘Raising Malawi’ (PR firm) founded by Madonna AND TWO OTHERS over three years ago held fund raisers for over two years before finally getting registered as a non-profit. In other words, Madonna and the others were free to squander the lion’s share of that funding any way they saw fit for those first two years. In fact, they still havn’t accounted for the 3.7 million raised from a single event in the fall of ’07’ (The opening of a Gucci flagship store in Manhattan.). She also pleaded with her fans worldwide for donations along the way. In the meantime, she toured the world to promote her latest CD and raked in another $280,000,000 gross in just over 12 months. To date, the basic financial info for ‘Rasing Malawi’ still hasn’t been posted on the website or anywhere else. The ‘progress’ page only tells of the collective works by over 20 seperate charities. Each of which have their own sources of funding and may have recieved some sort of promotion or support from ‘Raising Malawi’ in order to be considered ‘partners’. But no indication is made how much of their funding came from ‘Raising Malawi’ or how much of their progress if any could be directly attributed to ‘Raising Malawi’. The fans/donors have no clue how many millions of dollars were raised in that first two years, no clue how much Madonna herself chipped in, and no clue how the money was spent before they finally registered as a non-profit. No clue what fraction of funding or works listed on that ‘progress’ page could be directly attributed to ‘Raising Malawi’. Nothing to go on but the vague word of Madonna. The vague and very misleading word of Madonna. For example: She states in her latest promotional video that she will match any contributions made to her charity (PR firm) “dollar for dollar”. However, there is a disclaimer posted on the website for ‘Raising Malawi’ that Madonna’s total contribution will not exceed $100,000. Thats not per donation. Thats a maximum of $100,000 TOTAL. Less than a single days pay for Madonna. Also much less then she will surely rake in by promoting her own CDs, DVDs, and ‘for profit’ merchandise through this massive worldwide publicity stunt. So I called the office of ‘Raising Malawi’ in an attempt to verify some sort of efficient financial operation (310) 867-2881 or (888) 72-DONOR). These details are ALWAYS made available by legitimate charities to their potential donors. But not in this case. I got nothing but recorded messages and hangups. So I did some research on my own. ‘Rasing Malawi’ still hasn’t been given any kind of rating by ANY independent charity watchdog like Charitywatch.org. The vast overwhelming majority of ‘celebrity’ foundations never are. In general, they are inneficient and riddled with corruption. Like the promotion of CDs, world tours, commercial websites, entire lines of jewelry (not just the single piece from which proceeds are donated), and high end fashion retail flagship stores. Celebrity foundations are also notorious for squandering much of their funding on private jet rides and super high end accomodations for their managers, PR crews, and celebrity figure heads. Its legal even for a nonprofit but not noble or efficient by any stretch of the imagination. In general, ‘celebrity’ foundations are a twisted inefficient mutant of charity, self-promotion, exotic travel, and PR crap. Still, they compete for funding with more efficient legitimate charities who do more work with less money. The celebrity figure heads often disregard the primary donors, co-founders, and managers, take personal credit for any collective work done, and seek maximum publicity shortly before or after the release of their own commercial projects. Its a sham. So if its not rated, then don’t support it. Instead, support a top rated charity like any of those given high ratings at Charitywatch.org.

17. October 31, 2009 / 8:45 PM

Happy Halloween!! Love that post!!

18. November 1, 2009 / 10:41 AM

What a great post!

19. November 1, 2009 / 5:51 PM

Oh my…THANKS for the dose of reality! Ifeel much better!! hugs!

20. November 2, 2009 / 3:46 AM

I show the Dove commercial (where the model’s picture is tweaked for the billboard) to my Intro to Psych class when we discuss body image disorders. These would make a great addition to that discussion! Thanks for sharing :).

21. November 2, 2009 / 5:25 PM

Wow, that photo of Madonna scares me to death. And Faith! Who knew?? But for the record, I think Justin looked better before.
    Thanks for posting this, it was so fun! :o)

22. November 3, 2009 / 8:24 PM

Just catching up on all of your posts. This one cracks me up! So true! haha Love it!

Have a great week Lindsay! 🙂

Roeshel

23. November 9, 2009 / 10:38 PM

Somehow I missed this post! Brilliant!